29

HARPER

I sat like a couch potato on the sofa, staring out of space as Maddi told me a story about god knows what since I've already forgotten now. When she finally quieted down, she handed me the long rolled paper, filled with cannabis, also known to me as a joint, something I tended to love. Andy didn't know anything about me smoking or dropping up LSD every once and awhile. I felt the need to get high again since I was deprived of it in the facility. Maddi was my very first dealer in 9th grade when we met in the locker room where she was munching on some edibles and offered me one. I was as high as a kite that day, the entire school day seemed to easy and stressful. It felt great to feel the buzz in my head and be numb through out my body.

Soon enough I was crawling back to her for a bowl, and that's when we smoked together for the first time. Right near the park at school and at that time she offered me a cigarette and told me all about her crazy trips on all sorts of fancy drugs. She was a junior at the time and I just looked up to her, then she dropped out and became an artist. She was like an older sister to me but we never considered each other friends, just two people who met up to hit up drugs and party then never talk again outside of school. I didn't mind it one bit.

But I missed her and she was very loyal to me and I could tell her anything I thought letting her catch up on my life news while high would be a great way to feel more at home. After all it was the best way for me to bond.

"Are you still with Ashland?" I asked her, ashing the joint and handing it back to her. She sucked on the end, sucking up the THC fumes and exhaling them slowly. Ashland was her boyfriend of 6 years and I swear they would never break up. She raised her left hand, stoned as hell looking at me showing off the ring slipped on her finger. "Holy shit he asked you?" I say excited and standing up to become light headed.

"7 months ago yeah. But we're not doing anything big. Just signing papers and flying off to god knows where for 2 weeks." She says, slumping back into her chair. "I have the munchies let's go somewhere." she groans. I agree and throw on some clothes before rushing out the door with her. To stoned to drive, she took over the wheel driving us to IHop even though it was 8pm on a Saturday. Thankfully she drove with care and I didn't have to be parinoid knowing that her fake sober side was spot on. My tolerance was kicking me in the ass with just one joint and I was high as fuck but it was great to feel this way again.

When we arrived it was hard to walk in without the shits and giggles like most stoner got but we made it to a table with no suspecting evidence. Once we ordered a lot of food we got talking.

"So what about you Harp? Hell I haven't seen you with another guy since junior year at prom." Maddi asked, sipping on some coffee.

"We'll I'm living with my boyfriend right now." I admit, not being used to saying the word boyfriend to address Andy. "When I was under the suicide watch I told you about, he was my weekly therapist and I just took more interest in him than the other doctors and stuff. He was really loyal to helping me compared to the others. Him and my other therapist, Tony, were really big help and saw past my issues and saw who I was and helped me discover myself. David ditched me here for New York so Andy reached out and told me to come stay with him and next thing I knew we were together. He never properly asked me out it just happened."

"That's great to hear. As long as he treats you we'll I won't beat the daylight out of him" she giggled, suddenly realizing our food had been given to us and we dug in.

When it was about 10, Maddi headed home still pretty high and I went to change my shirt into something I could sleep in. I fed Gladiator her dinner and climbed into bed.

After 5 minutes of laying there I could here the cat meowing loudly and scratching on the bathroom door. When it got annoying I got up and opened it for her to come in but she just stood there. "What do you want girl?" I spoke to the cat in child's play and she began to walk away meowing again. I followed her thinking maybe she needed more water but she walked into Andy's room, jumping on the bed and pushing her paws into his pillows. I laughed at her, avoiding the art all over his walls for I was scared my Stendhal syndrome would start acting up causing me to panic. Gladiator continued to meow at me and I say on the edge of his bed, petting her and she finally stopped. "Did you just want attention or for me to sleep with you again?" I told her as she purred into my palm. Once I laid on Andy's side of the bed she stopped and curled into a ball next to me. The indica part of my high started rolling in and I became extremely lazy feeling no modivation to get up. I just needed to sleep and before I knew it I had fallen to deep sleep with Gladiator purring next to me.

I liked the scent on Andy's pillows. It made me feel safe.

ANDY

Driving home from work was horrible as I kept dozing off at stop lights but I was careful since it was about 7:30 in the morning. When I arrived at the apartment I undid my tie and took off my shoes before entering. With a loud sigh I came in to the quiet and dark house, heading for my room. To my surprise, Harper was int my bed with Gladiator, both of them passed out and curled up next to each other. I loved seeing her beautiful face so peaceful and gleaming with hope.

Every hear how people look more dead when they're asleep or more at peace? We'll Harper looked like both. When the door creaked my cats head popped up and she meowed quietly at me. I dropped my things on the dresser as quiet as possible, sliding into the other side of the bed and diving under blankets since I was freezing in here. My lovely girl was still fast asleep but she looked cold in only a large shirt and underwear so I pulled her gently to me with Gladiator at our feet. Her sleep drunk faze made her wrap an arm around my torso and curl into my chest as I held her waist.

It felt great to come home to someone to cuddle and care for. In that moment of cuddling I had never felt so happy with my life, knowing that I had someone to love that loved me back.
___________________

Maddi on the side there