• Appreciation •

Start from the beginning

🔪🎃

Meanwhile, Katsuki was shopping at the local city market. Picking up ingredients for a few of his favorite recipes, as well as supplies such as napkins, tissues, and the little umbrellas that are put on top of drinks. Izuku loved those.

He couldn't help by eye at the assortment of knives in the kitchen supply aisle. So many big, sharp knives. It was tempting. That voice in his head wanted him to grab one and feel the familiar weight in his grasp. But, he shook off that side of him and took himself and his cart full of items down the next aisle.

Eventually, he filled up the cart with things he needed, and a lot of extra stuff he found along the way to the cash registers. He preferred the self-checkouts since he hated human interaction.

But before checking out, he stopped and notice an area full of flowers. He remembered the sentiment he made after he moved too fast with Izuku. Couples usually made up when one gave the other flowers, right? Sure, they weren't a couple but Katsuki would like to have that kind of relationship with Izuku if it were a possibility. Maybe this would help push that dream if he did it properly.

He took a look around at each and every flower to figure out what he should get for Izuku, but he knew nothing about flowers. He usually saw some pretty ones during his walks, but he didn't know what types they were or anything of the sort.

He wasn't sure how to figure out what flowers to get for Izuku. Should he get ones he finds pretty? Guess what Izuku found pretty? Maybe get the ones that reminded him of Izuku? That wouldn't help, they're all just as pretty as he is.

"Looking for the missus?" The old lady working in the flower area asked as she noticed Katsuki struggling.

He was surprised at the sudden question but went along with it, "S-Something like that, I guess you could say."

"Is it for a special occasion of some sort? You know, flowers have meanings to them. It's important to get the right ones."

Flowers have meanings. That was news to Katsuki. Perhaps with how much Izuku loves and cares for flowers, he'd be aware of what they meant.

"I'd like something to show hi-her how much I love... her..." It was awkward to have to change Izuku's pronouns. Marriage between two men wasn't looked down upon anymore, it was as normal as a man and a woman being together. However, older folks often had differentiating opinions on that, and Katsuki rather not know this lady's feelings on it or he might accidentally go back to his slasher days.

"Well, everyone knows that roses are the flowers of love. If you want to show her how much you love her, buy her a bouquet of flowers."

"How many would that be?"

"It can be as many as you want, young man."

"I'll take all of them then!" Katsuki said with a determined smile.

The lady gave him a shocked expression before smiling, "Your wife is one lucky lady."

🔪🌹

Katsuki entered the house with numerous bags of groceries in his hands. He noticed Izuku working on something in the living room but he couldn't see what it was.

Izuku looked over to greet Katsuki, but instantly stopped when he saw all the things he was carrying.

"Kacchan, I would've helped you grab the groceries. That's way too much for you to carry." Izuku worried as he helped grab a few bags from Katsuki's hands, making the blonde blush each time their skin lightly touched.

"It's fine, they're not that heavy," Katsuki assured.

Once all the bags were on the counter, Katsuki headed back to the door.

"You're leaving again already?" Izuku asked, seemingly with a bit of sadness in his voice.

"No, I... Got something for you." Katsuki exited the door before Izuku could say anything back.

He pondered what Katsuki could've possibly given him and why. He didn't deserve anything from him, not after pushing him away as he did.

But, his eyes sparkled once Katsuki came back in with a large bouquet of flowers. It was as big and wide as Katsuki's chest! Maybe a hundred roses in there at least!

He brought them to Izuku, blushing behind the large set of flowers, "I saw these and thought of you..." He tried to be cute.

Izuku took the large bouquet of flowers, bringing them as low as he could to pop his head over them to get a better look.

"Kacchan, these are beautiful! There are so many of them! I'm not sure where I'll be able to keep them all." Izuku smiled, which made Katsuki's lips curl up as well.

Izuku couldn't help but wonder why roses out of all flowers. After all, roses were usually given to someone the other person loved. Did Katsuki know that or did he just think he'd like them?

He wanted to ask but he felt stupid doing so if it wasn't the answer he was hoping for. He decided not to think deeply about it.

"So, what were you doing in the living room?" Katsuki asked as he entered to see a familiar bin, "My Halloween decorations? What are they doing up here?"

"Oh, that? I was just looking through them since the season is coming up. I know how much you love Halloween so I wanted to start decorating for you."

"Heh, that's cute. I was hoping we'd do that together."

"Really?" Izuku blushed.

"Of course, dummy. You live here too, you know. It's your house just as much as it's mine."

Izuku felt small beads of tears form against his eyes, quickly wiping them away with a swipe of his thumb with a smile, "Right! Of course!"

Perhaps it wasn't too ridiculous to think there was a chance with Katsuki. The hand holding, the roses, and even the little umbrellas Katsuki put in his drinks were all gestures that showed that he at least appreciated him. Whether it was an act of love is yet to be discovered by Izuku.

But slowly and surely, the two started to get more comfortable with one another. They just needed to go at their own pace to get where they both wanted to be.

For now, this was perfect for them.

🔪❤