2

Leah hated every bit of this. Having to pretend to be with Race? Gross, let's just say she regretted even agreeing to this. For the past hour or so she had just been.... sitting there as she watched Race and the boys play, twiddling with her thumbs out of boredom.

The loud laughter and yelling of the boys made her ears ring, she hated loud noises, especially in crowds. After what felt like an eternity she managed to sneak out the door for some fresh air. It was quiet, good, the sound of the water hitting the docks made her feel at peace. She always had a love for the ocean, but never dared to go near it, not since her brother left.

Sighing softly, she gently took out the small blue marble from her pocket, examining it in thought. Her brother, Jacob, had given it to her when she was about ten and she never dared to leave without it. "Why did you have to leave?.." she wispered to herself in thought

"Missing someone?" A deeper voice said behind her. Leah snapped around, her fist in the air about to punch, however her fist was caught by a hand. She looked up to see the figure of a young boy standing in front of her. The darkness of the night made it harder for her to see him but she could make out one thing, a pair of pale blue eyes.

"Easy goirly I ain't armed or nothin" the boy said with a slight cocky smirk across his lips. "oh yeah? Says who?" Leah said with a huff as she pulled her fist away.

"Ain't you a little far from home?" He asked examining her up and down. "It's not safe out here for someone like you". "My dumb friend dragged me here, I can't leave until he does" She said with a slight groan as she leaned against a pole on the dock.

"What're you doing out here anyways?" She questioned, crossing her arms which made the boy chuckle slightly "I live here doll, thought that much was obvious." "Right.." Leah said as she rubbed her neck, slightly embarrassed for asking that.

The boy chuckled softly and glanced around "so, what beings you here?" "Like I said, my dumb friend brought me here because he wants to convince the boys he can get girls" she explained sighing .

"So...you don't wanna be here?" He asked getting slightly closer to her, making it easier for her to see him, she could see parts of his dirty brown hair now. "Not under these circumstances" She responded. "Well I'd be more than happy to walk you home" the boy said with a small kind grin.

She looked up at the boy in thought but before she could answer, Race ran to her. "There you are!!" He said grabbing her wrist "What the hell are ya doin?!" He asked in a panic as he started dragging her away, Leah glanced back at the boy who gave her a slight wave as she left.

"Talking to someone, until I was interrupted" she said with a huff. "Ya know who youse was talking to right?!?" Race said, his face turning pale. Leah furrowed her brows, giving him a look. "Spot Conlon? The Spot Conlon? The most famous newsie in New York?" He said, gripping her shoulders panicked.

Leahs eyes widened for a moment but she soon shrugged it off "so? He's just another newsie" she said and started walking ahead of Race. "You can't just- oh forget it" Race groaned and started following close behind.

"Who was that?" Spot asked one of his boys who was stood next to him. "Leah, Leah Moscsvit"

"Leah... interesting"