Chapter 19

"Pizza is here!" Lucas yells at my closed bedroom door.

"Coming!!" I get up off of the bed and walk out of my room.

Lucas is sitting on one of the stools at the bar table. I sit next to him, slowly. I grab a slice of pepperoni pizza and take a bite.

"So....." I trail off. "I hate this."

"Me too. Do you really think that I want to be married to a girl who doesn't want to be married to me?"

"You don't want to be married to me either, right?"

" I don't like this situation and how it happened, but I'm at least glad that you aren't a girl that I don't like at all."

"That's kind of sweet, I think?" I take another bite of my pizza.

"My parents could have done worse."

I thought about the one time I had met Lucas and Joseph's mom at the pool that one night...

"Your mom seemed really nice when I met her."

"Of course she was nice to you. She knew that you were going to be her future daughter in law."

"Did Joseph know?"

"No."

"Oh. So, were the things about Joseph even true?"

"Yes. I won't let him hurt you or bother you. Trust me on that. You are my wife now, after all."

"That sounds so weird to hear that." I let out a nervous laugh.

"I know right." He laughs, too. A piece of pizza dangles out of one side of his mouth.

I can't help it. Seeing that makes me burst into uncontrollable laughter. He begins to laugh right along with me.

"Do you want me to get you a napkin?" He had pizza sauce on his cheek, too.

He nods. I go into the kitchen and grab a piece of paper towel. I walk over and stand right in front of him. I dab his cheek. Our eyes meet. He has a weird look in his eyes that I can't explain....and before I know it Lucas Gates is kissing me yet again! At least this time I shouldn't feel bad about it. I mean, I am his wife for crying out loud. Weren't husbands and wives supposed to kiss?

I back away from the kiss first.

"What was that for?" I ask as I touch my lips.

"I don't know..." He looks down at the floor. "I just wanted to..." He whispers.

I wait until he looks back up at me.

I walk closer towards him and close the space between us.

"Yeah, me too." I press my lips against his.

Well, now hasn't this all got a little bit confusing. My feelings were going out of control. What is happening here?! I'm kissing the guy that I was FORCED to marry! I'm so twisted.