Chapter 23

Why did life have to be so complicated? I wish that Lucas and I had met on different terms. I wish that my mom was still alive. I wish that my dad wasn't the way that he was. I wish that Joseph would stop obsessing over me. I wish that Lucas was really truly in love with me....I know I sound crazy. Who falls in love with a guy that they were forced to marry? Me. Peyton Grimes. That's who.Well, before we even got married, I was beginning to develop feelings for him. So, if you think about it, this was sort of inevitable. I sigh. Lucas and I have been married for 6 months now. It has all gone by so fast.

It's dark out and I'm headed back home from the mall. Which, let me tell you, was a very very long drive. Living in the sticks has it's downfalls, but it also has it's good points as well.

As I pull into the gas station, I just realized that I needed some gas and this was probably the only one I would see for a while, I notice a truck behind me. It looks very familiar...I shrug and walk into the gas station and hand the cashier a twenty-dollar Bill.

As I am pumping gas, I look over at the truck again. The Windows are tented. There should seriously be a law made where people can't have tented windows in their vehicles. How are cops supposed to find criminals if the criminals can easily hide themselves in a vehicle with tented windows?

I shake my head. I accidently drop my keys. I bend down to get them. Once I'm back up my eyes land on a pair of piercing blue eyes. I would know those piercing blue eyes anywhere. Joseph Gates... Now I know why that truck looked so familiar.

"What are you doing here?" I gulp.

"I followed you." He says bluntly.

"Leave me alone." I walk around him and get back my vehicle.

"We can do this the hard way or the easy way, Grimes." He says as I slam my door. I smash down the locks. I see the cashier watching what is going down. I know Joseph won't do anything here.

As soon as I get home and Lucas sees the look on my face he immediately asks me what is wrong.

"I saw Joseph. He was following me."

His face begins to look angry. "Did he try anything?"

"No. He didn't but the cashier at the gas station was watching us so he wouldn't ...I'm scared, Lucas. He keeps randomly showing up."

"It will be ok. Don't go anywhere alone anymore, ok?"

"Okay."

He smiles but I can see the worry behind his gorgeous eyes.

"Can I ask you a question?" I give him an intense gaze. I can't believe that I'm about to ask what I'm about to ask but I can't help it. I'm feeling bold.

"You can ask me anything. You know that."

"Can I sleep by you tonight?" His eyes meet my mine and it's intense.

It takes him a few moments but he nods yes.