Chapter 12

I wake up, groggily. I wish that I could go back to sleep so I wouldn't have to face the reality of what happened between me and Lucas last night. I go to my room. Lucas isn't there. He must have went back to his cabin....

"Good morning!" Gabriella beams at me as I walk into the kitchen. She's at her favorite place to be, the stove.

"What's for breakfast?"

"Pancakes, Grits, and sausage."

I think I gained five pounds just looking at the food on the stove. It looked so good. I sit down at the table. My dad is reading the newspaper. Gabriella brings the food to the table. I get two pancakes, some grits, and a piece of sausage on my plate. This food is so delicious. I hate to admit it, but Gabriella is a great cook, but not as good as my mom.

Suddenly, Lucas walks in....with a girl. Long blonde hair. Big boobs. Super tight jeans. She's also wearing a pink cowgirl hat. Who is she?

"Haley!!! It's so good to see you!" Gabriella hugs the girl, tightly.

My dad smiles at this girl named Haley.

"Haley, this is my daughter, Peyton." He points at me. I'm sitting there just staring holding my fork in my hand.

My dad looks at me. "This is Lucas's girlfriend. We haven't seen her in so long. We missed you, honey. Come take a seat and eat with us."

Did my dad just seriously call this girl honey? She must have used to come around a lot...She comes over and sits next to me. Lucas sits across from her. I feel like I've been slammed against a brick wall. I don't know what to think and I don't know what to feel. Lucas kissed me last night and I kissed him back. And now here goes his girlfriend sitting right next to me. This feels so unreal. I can feel Lucas's eyes on me. I refuse to look at him. I can't believe him. I thought he was a better person than this. He is not my friend anymore or anything to me for that matter.

Lucas doesn't talk to me for two weeks. I don't talk to him, either. I still don't know what happened with Joseph the night Lucas kissed me....but I do know that Joseph hasn't been at school. Over the past two weeks, I've seen Haley around Lucas's cabin. I wonder what they were doing...I spend my time with Arabella or in my room reading and listening to music. Even though I hate what Lucas did, I miss him a lot. We always talked and I liked him. He should at least give me an explanation for why he did what he did and I surely hope he told his girlfriend what happened between us. I don't want to be the girl that ruined a relationship. If I had known he had a girlfriend I would have never kissed him back.....

I go to see Arabella.

"Hey girl. Guys suck."

Arabella grunts.

I laugh. "I guess that means you agree with me."

I hear someone cough behind me. I turn around. I hope it's not who I think it is.

LUCAS.

"Hey." He mumbles. He puts his hands in his jean pockets.

"Is that really all you have to say to me?"

"What am I supposed to say?"

"You did not just say that."

"I'm sorry, Peyton. What I did was a mistake."

"Well, then why did you do it?" I demand.

He looks right at me. "Because I wanted to."

"You have a girlfriend, dude."

"I know, but...it's a long story."

"Yeah? Why don't you go tell your long story's to your girlfriend and NOT me?"

Lucas sighs and walks closer to me.

"I've missed talking to you these past two weeks. I don't want us to stop being friends..."

"I don't befriend cheaters, sorry."

"Me and Haley were on a break."

"Break? What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that ,before you moved here, Haley told me she wanted us to take a break and she left to go stay with her mom in Georgia."

"Why is she here then ?"

"She just showed up after that night..."

"She showed up bright and early. She's been hanging around your cabin a lot these past two weeks too..."

Lucas looks down at the dirt. "Peyton, it's complicated. "

"How long have y'all been together not including the "break"?

"A little over a year."

"Oh. Well, I wish you two the best of luck."

"Peyton....."

" I have to go."

"But, Peyton, wait..." Lucas tries to block me from leaving the barn.

"Lucas, just let me go." I say, angrily.

He looks at me deep in the eyes. It's as if he can see my soul. After a few moments, he moves out of my path.

Mom, why does life have to be so complicated? Life needs a how to book.

(Will be doing some editing later)