Part twenty nine [monsters like red]

Start from the beginning

"As far as I'm concerned I haven't broken any rules." You shot back grasping at a shred of confidence you somehow found. The memory of the amber wasp flashed in your mind for a second but you pushed it away. They didn't know, they wouldn't be this lenient with you if they did.

"You didn't break any rules yourself, except for assaulting a member of our staff that is." She replied coldly.

Embarrassed, you felt a blush rise at the back of your neck.

"But you do seem to inspire quite a bit of rule-breaking in the other prisoners." The doctor mused. "Not only did you rile up quite a few districts to start rebelling against the guards you also caused me to lose a sizable chunk of my most valuable assets."

You stared at her blankly, digesting her words with an unsure expression before your face pinched in anger.

"Is this what you call them?" You asked making the woman cock her head in a silent question. "Your 'most valuable assets'? You are talking about Hajime, aren't you? Matsunaga Hajime?" Your palms clenched into tight fists. "The things you did to their hands, you injured them, crippled them forever. They trusted you."

Now the doctor looked furious. You watched as her jaw clenched in anger.

"I'll have you know that 098 wanted to get more powerful, I simply did what they wanted-"

"How could they know what they wanted!?" You yelled in frustration. "They are a kid! And you used them, turned them into a killing machine!"

"You are-"

"And 021!" You cut her off, not caring for her rising fury. "He was delirious when I fought him, how long did you keep him here!? He kept talking about his family, you took him when he was just a child!"

"We take all of our prisoners at a young age." The woman answered, her eyes shining in bewildered anger as if in disbelief you were even talking to her. "It's far easier to make them compliant that way." After a second of silence, she added. "If only it worked 100% of the time."

"You make me sick." You hissed out. "I don't get...I don't understand how can you agree to do this...how can you agree to do any of this? How can you sleep at night, and look at yourself in the mirror while knowing how many people's lives you've ruined? How many children you sentenced to death as if they were nothing."

She smiled as if mocking you. "Interesting question 572, real interesting. Most definitely better than the incessant blabbering I get from the other children." She flipped her brown hair back from her hospital coat as if trying to regain some of her composure. "If you are under some big impression that I am the overlord of this place then you are mistaken. I am an employee, nothing more."

"I don't care who or what you are." You spat, it felt like you were holding all of the cells in your body back from throwing a punch right at her perfect face

"Hm. Of course." She hummed. "I entered this facility because the world outside is riddled with cowards."

You quirked your eyebrow in a silent question.

"Do you think a normal doctor would ever subject people to the things we do here?" She asked.

"Of course not!" You scoffed.

"Right." The woman agreed with a sneer. "But there are certain things which you are simply not able to find out unless you make a couple of...unsavory decisions. Scientists are not allowed to experiment on people."

You looked at her silently digesting everything she told you. "So what? You're doing all of this because there were experiments you wanted to perform but couldn't?"