Twenty-One

"I thought you wanted that boy kidnapped, not his fathers head.", Arthur said after a while of silence.

Dutch had invited you to stay a while, so you had gladly taken the invite and now sat at the campfire, a cup of steaming hot coffee in your hands.

The flames danced through your (E/C) eyes. You didn't blink nor talk for a moment before taking a sip from the pitch black drink.

No one was around anymore.

The others all had gone to bed while Dutch and another elderly looking man were talking at a carriage, on the other side of camp.

"You said he wouldn't do it.", you said, eyes fixed onto the flames. "So I took that advice and changed my tactics."

"To murder?", he asked in a tone that gave away how much he judged that decision.

"Assassination. People have been killed for far less, Arthur. I just want Ginny to have a friend. Karl needs a safe place and I can give that to him."

A low sound got stuck in his throat.

"Yeah, but will he want that place once he finds out you killed his dad?"

"I payed someone to kill his father. I didn't do it myself."

"What difference does that make? Blood's on your hands anyways."

A soft smile appeared on your lips.

Your eyes moved to the side to catch a glimpse of him.

His brown hair almost looked like firewood in the dark.

The fiery shimmer painted his face in red and yellow.

Only the black hat on his head was as unchanged as ever.

"How many people did you kill for less, Arthur?", you asked in a soft voice. "How much blood is on your hands without saved children?"

His eyes locked with yours.

Maybe it was just the fire or his grim expression, but he seemed evil in that moment, angered by you.

"Too many.", he said without flinching. "And they won't be the last either."

A chuckle escaped you.

"Well... then neither of us is as good as the other."

"You don' have to be evil."

You swallowed the last sip of coffee in your cup.

"But I chose to be. Just like Dutch. Just like the others in this camp. And just like you. We ain't that different Arthur. I made my decision. Don't think I'll step down on it just to be good."

For a moment, he just eyed you.

Then, without saying another word, he got up and took the empty cup from your hands.

"Let's get ya home, shall we?", he asked, distant all of a sudden.

You sighed.

"I'd appreciate that, mister Morgan.", you replied and got up to walk over to his horse.

The thought crossed you, that he wouldn't want to be close anymore and maybe he'd let you ride on your own.

But he looked at you in an expectant manner, asking in a silent way if he was supposed to help you up.

Taking a deep breath in, you placed one foot on the saddle, grabbed the edge and pulled yourself up with all your might.

Boadicea moved a little.

But you managed to get your other leg to the other side without falling.

"Huh.", Arthur looked up at you. "Where did you learn that?"

A smirk appeared on your face.

"Someone who can howl with the wolves taught me.", you joked.

He couldn't help but chuckle gently.

"No light.", Arthur noticed as your house appeared in the distance.

"Today I kept the saloon locked.", you said. "Ginny needed a break."

"That little fella does a lot for ya' doesn't he? He'll grow up to be a good man one day. Works hard and honest for his money."

You huffed.

"Unlike someone."

Arthur smirked too.

"Unlike good ol' mister outlaw over here."

He let the horse stop at the entrance to your property, but didn't make a move to get down to the ground.

You waited a moment and then moved to slide down yourself.

But all of a sudden his hand lay on your thigh.

You froze.

"I won't tell em'.", Arthur said. "But I also don't think this is a good idea. You should think this through."

You didn't look at him.

He talked as if you didn't know what was about to happen.

But you knew.

You had seen it many times before.

Once, you had experienced it as well.

With your parents.

You pushed his hand off.

Maybe it was a bit too harsh, but you needed to show him that you weren't as soft and innocent as he thought you were.

"In the end, this is a terrible world.", you slid down the horse. "People died for less."

A shadow crossed his face.

"Some die for as little as ten dollars...", he replied in a low, almost broken voice.

"I don't need your approval. But I appreciate that you won't tell him. Or my brother. They are kids. This is nothing I want to burden them with."

"If they find out, you won't see another day."

You smiled.

"Once that day comes I am willing to pay the price for the decision I made today. But I will die, knowing that Karl saw many more happy days than his father ever could have given him."

Arthur's lips curled.

Without a word, he turned the horse and let it walk a few steps.

But he hesitated to leave entirely.

His gaze jumped back over his shoulder.

"I still am not a good man.", he said. "The things you've asked for are nothin' against what I do."

With a gentle smile, you raised a hand and waved him goodnight.

"I hate to tell you, mister Morgan, but I would have killed that man without you as well. One way or another."

"Then we truly are worse people than we thought."

"Maybe we should have thought twice before befriending each other."

His eyebrow rose.

"Friends?", he asked. "I ain't never had a friend."

You laughed.

"Me neither. But I like you, Arthur Morgan.", you turned to walk towards the house. "Come by more often. I might hand out free drinks to you."