Chapter 18.

"It has been an honor, flying with you", Maverick said.
We were in the basement on a big carrier which was heading towards the starting point of our mission.
I wanted to hold  Bradley hand right now but he was a row behind me.

When I looked at Bob who was standing beside of me, a part of me didn't want to be picked by Maverick.
It was my responsibility to bring him back to the carrier.
Bob is a good person.

"This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more", Maverick explained.
"Choose your two Foxtrot teams", the admiral told him.
"Payback and Fanboy. Phantom and Bob", he hesitated when he said my name.
Bob looked a bit shocked when he heard our name.
My heart began to race.

"And your Wingman?"
"Rooster", he announced.
I felt like I needed to faint when I heard his name.
I couldn't handle anyone of them dying during this mission.
Right in that moment, I just wanted to disappear.
I wanted to be back in my little beach house enjoying my tea and talk about how life could be with the person I loved.
Bradley.
I wanted to be back in class and get mad about the comments that Hangman made.
I wanted to be back in the bar and sing by the piano with everyone.

"The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required", he said. "Dismissed"
Hangman looked into my direction and nodded.
I knew that he was probably mad that he didn't get picked. Or maybe he was relived and all of this was just an act.

"Your target is a clear and present threat. A secret uranium enrichment site under rouge state control. It's an underground bunker tucked between two mountains. Your route of ingress is heavily defended by surface-to-air missiles backed up by fifth generation fighters. Once your F-18 strike team crosses the border, Tomahawk missiles from the USS will Launch a synchronized strike on the enemy's airfield. This will knock out their runway. Beware of any planes already in the air. The moment the Tomahawks hit, they know you're coming.
Your time to target is two minutes and thirty seconds. Any longer and you'll be exposed to any aircraft that the Tomahawks may have missed", the Admiral explained to refresh our memories.

I didn't really pay attention to what he said. My eyes were on Bradley who looked on the ground the entire time.

"This is what you've been training for. Come home safely", the admiral added before we went up to our aircrafts but Maverick stopped me on my way.

"Nicki?", he said so that I'd turn around.
He took his tag necklace off and put it in my hand.
"I'll get you home, alright sweetheart?", he said as he pulled me in for a hug.
"You'll too, dad. You'll come home too.", I started tearing up.
"I'm sorry for holding your papers back", he apologized.
"I'm sorry for wasting all this time by being mad", I cried.
"It's alright", he said and said goodbye.

My fingers went over the lettering on the tag.
I wiped my tears away as I saw Hangman coming towards me.
"You'll give 'em hell", he said and I nodded.
Normally, I would've been surprised by his support but I couldn't think about that right now.

I looked over the carrier to find Bradley when suddenly someone approached me from behind.
I was still holding the tags of my dad in my hands and when I looked at Bradley, I felt like someone took the ground away.
"I'm glad we met again", he said as he gave me a kiss on my forehead.
"Don't say this like its a goodbye", I begged him.
"Please don't look at me like that", he said as I saw the tears in his eyes.

"I'll make sure you'll be save", he said and hugged me.
"I'll always make sure you'll be safe", he whispered.
I didn't want to let go of him but when Bob called me I knew it was time.

As soon as I climbed into my aircraft, I swallowed all my emotions down.
"Thank you for everything", Bob said when the hood closed.
I nodded.

"Dagger one, up and ready on catapult one", Maverick confirmed his position over the speakers.
I saw Hangman sitting in his aircraft. He watched everyone leaving their spots.
"Dagger spare standing by", he said.
"Dagger four, up and ready", Payback added.
"Dagger three, up and ready", I said.
"Dagger two, up and ready", I heard Roosters voice.

I took a deep breath and turned the engines on.