Chapter 2.

I was one of the last person that arrived in the base in the morning. Phoenix held a place for me right beside her and Bob.
"Thank you", I said and sat down.
"No problem", Hangman giggled as he turned around. He was sitting right in front of me and chewed a piece of gum in the grossest way I have ever seen.
"Funny", Phoenix said sarcastically.

The greeting of the admiral took place in an old hangar, where they build a little stage and a few chairs.
This wasn't gonna be our usual class room.

I noticed Rooster looking at me. He was sitting on the other side. He looked surprisingly fresh, considering that it was 6:30 a.m.

Me on the other hand couldn't be more sleepy. I just wanted to be in bed.
I could still feel the soft bedsheets when I closed my eyes.
The house where I was currently staying at was a very nice one as well.
It had a bedroom, Bathroom a little kitchen and a patio.
The house was near the beach and I could enjoy the sounds of waves when I was sitting on the patio.

"Welcome to your special training detachment, I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC commander", he greeted us with a very serious face.
He looked tiny in comparison to the big American flag which was hung up right behind him.
"Ive gathered all of you here, because every single one of you graduated Top Gun and you're are one of the best pilots the navy has to offer. Times have changed, aircraft and pilots have developed. Yet what you're are about to train for has never been faced by anyone of you. The enemy's new fifth generation fighter has leveled the playing field.", he explained.

Hangman turned around again and fake yawned which to Phoenix responded with scratching her cheek with her middle finger.
I giggled.
When I looked around. The others didn't seem to be intimidated about what the admiral explained. Some of them even looked like they were about to fall asleep on their seat.

"Your instructor has experience in every field that is important for this mission. His exploits are legendary. I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign:Maverick", as he finished the sentence I felt my heart sunk to the ground.
Everyone was looking at me and I saw my father walking past, up to where the admiral just stood.
A part of me was happy to see him again though I was still hurt that he tried to stop me from becoming a pilot. I wouldn't be sitting here if it was for him.
He looked at me and let out a slight smile which I didn't respond to.

"The F-18 NATOPS. It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I assume you know this by heart", he said as he held the book up.
"Sure thing", Payback answered and we all nodded.
After our response, he had a satisfied look on his face and dropped the book into the bin next to him.
I was confused.

"So does you're enemy",he continued.
There were a few moments of silence after that sentence. Everyone was looking at each other since the way Maverick greeted us was very unusual.
"I don't want to know what you've learned. I want to know how you fly. You show me what you are made of", he finished.
He went down the aisle again and we all stood up to follow him.
"Phantom! Is that your old man?", Hangman asked as he walked up to me.
"Oh shut up Batman", I said and started to walk faster.
"Is he?", Bob whispered.
I nodded. I couldn't really believe it myself since I knew that the navy hated my father.
Every chance that they had they would send him away as far as they could. He was causing problems and the navy didn't like complicated people. Maverick rarely played by the rules and instead made up his own. He doesn't think when he is in the air. He used to tell me that if you think up there, you're dead and that's why I shouldn't be a pilot. I think too much.

While Maverick was explaining the rules for the flight, I noticed that Rooster didn't look at him. Not even once. Even though he should pay attention, he was ignoring him the entire time.

"If one of you gets shot, both of you are out", he explained.
"This guy needs an ego check", Hangman exhaled annoyed.

Payback and Fanboy were the first that got in the air.