Chapter 15.

After Maverick showed all of us that the mission was possible, Admiral Bates disappeared in his office.
All of us got up to congratulate Maverick as soon as he landed.
"Your father got balls, Phantom", Hangman said as he pressed his fingers into my shoulders.
I just smiled.
I smiled because I was proud.

When I passed Bates office, I heard him argue with some other Captains.
"You serious? sir, thats insane", I heard him yell.
As soon as we stepped out of the door, Maverick was already coming towards us.
Everyone was cheering and he held his helmet up.
"Sir, that was the craziest thing I have ever seen, respectfully", Bob shouted happily.
Even Rooster shook his hand in order to show him respect.

Suddenly, I heard Bates voice shouting his name.
He was surrounded by other important people.
He didn't look too happy when he stepped in our direction.

"You didn't obey the order I gave you Lieutenant", he said with an angry face.
Maverick looked down and the other stopped cheering.
Everything went quiet for a few moments.

"Well, you showed that the mission was possible. And as the others have decided, I've come to ask you if you want to lead this mission", Bates shook his head.
We had our eyes pinned at Mavericks answer.
He was in complete disbelief and waited for a few seconds before he answered.
Perhaps, he might have thought that it was some kind of joke.
"It would be an honor", he nodded and smiled.
Then the others started cheering again and repeatedly shouted his name.
"Congratulations, dad", I smiled and hugged him.
"Thank you", he smiled back.
Then he turned around. "Alright everyone, we got a mission to train for"
-
Bob, Rooster, Maverick, Payback, Fanboy and I were the first ones to train.
"Please tell me you can handle G- forces", Bob said.
"Oh, come on Baby on board, have a little faith", I called him by the nickname Hangman gave him.
"Seriously?", he laughed as the simulation started.

We were right behind Maverick. Rooster was behind me and Bob. The last ones were Payback and Fanboy.
"Don't be nervous Roos, you just have to deliver the kill shot", Payback said ironically.
"Yes, no pressure", Maverick added.

Everything went well. Both shots were a hit.
There was one thing that worried me.
Rooster was too slow.
He thought to much. Maybe my dad was right after all.
If you think up there your dead.

That probably what they both talked about after we were back on the ground.
"Some people just aren't good enough", Hangman stepped beside me as we both watched them talk.
"Please don't", I closed my eyes to remain calm.
"I'm being serious. If he does that on that day, he's dead.", he explained.

He was right.
If Maverick chooses Rooster as his wingman and he hesitates, it would be fatal.
"I know", I shook my head.
"I'm sure you don't want a dead Boyfriend. I mean I wouldn't", he said and left.

Boyfriend.
Rooster wasn't my Boyfriend but I didn't correct him.
Either way, I didn't want him to get hurt.

When I saw that Rooster stepped away, Maverick walked into my direction.
He looked worried.
"Do you think he's ready?", he asked me.
"I don't know", I shrugged. "Do you?"
"Right now? No", he answered.
"He wouldn't forgive me if I don't pick him", he said.
He was right.
"But Goose wouldn't forgive me if I did", he continued.
I watched Rooster walk towards a little hangar that was on the side of the base.
He angrily threw his helmet on the ground and disappeared behind the walls.
"Please talk to him", he said and left.
I nodded went to the hangar.

"Brad?", I yelled as I got in.
As soon as I took a few steps in the hangar, I saw and old P-51 Mustang and my fathers motorcycle.
The helmet was still laying on the ground.
I picked it up and looked for any scratches, when I wiped over the 'Rooster' lettering.
"Talk to me dad", I heard Rooster whisper and when I turned around I saw him standing in front a wall full of photos of Maverick and Goose, as well as me and him when we were little.

My heart ached as I noticed that he was crying.
Crying in front of the photos of his dad.
I put the helmet on a table and got closer.
"What am I supposed to do, Nicki?", he asked when he noticed that it was me, standing behind him.
"Oh, Brad", I whispered while I started to tear up as well.
I couldn't see him like this.
"Come here", I pulled him in for a hug.

He wrapped his arms around me, while he rested his head on my shoulder.
"I'm not good enough", he whispered.
"Don't say that", I replied as I gently went through his hair.
"But its true", he mumbled.

I pulled back and took his head so that he would look at me.
His eyes were red and swollen.
"No, no it isn't. You know that", I said but he shook his head.
"Brad, you are one of the best pilots there is and you're gonna do this", I looked at him.
"No", he still shook his head.
"You're gonna do this and you gonna make me and your dad proud, okay?", I continued.

He looked down and nodded.
"I believe in you", I whispered.