Chapter 44 - Medicine

Start from the beginning

It made Jesse smile a bit, as he too enjoyed an occasional snooze after lunch. That is, if he wasn't woken up by nightmares.

He blinked, watching as Hisoka applied a bandage before giving a gentle smile.

"You'll be okay." Hisoka said with such conviction, that Jesse's eyes watered. "Maybe you can't believe a stranger saying this, especially on the first day we actually meet but..." The kitsune pursed their lips before gesturing to themselves.

"Our kin has many abilities. Magic powers, multiple lives, unending power. You've encountered one of us before, haven't you?"

Jesse hesitated before nodding, remembering the frail, shivering form of Robbie. He too had been a Kitsune, though heavily malnourished and collared. Shackled away from his powers and soul bound master.

Hisoka tapped against the side of their nose with a knowing nod. "The older we are, the more blessed or cursed we become, depending on how you look at things. At my age, I've been gifted with limited premonitions."

Reaching out, Jesse's hands were gently clasped between Hisoka's, who smiled reassuringly. "Like I said Jesse, you'll be fine." The Kitsune gave another gentle smile, releasing Jesse's hands before turning their attention to Xavier.

"As for the Leshens, we were honestly surprised that they were willing to converse and negotiate with you all instead of... the more common alternative."

Xavier huffed out a humorless laugh. "Yeah, that is something we can all agree on. At first, we were stunned as well, but it seems someone has sway on those creatures."

Both looked back at Jesse, who curled shyly against Xavier. Personally, Jesse didn't think that he had any sway over the Leshens.

He treated them as friends, as individuals that earned his respect. None of his actions had intentionally tried to subdue and control the guardians of the forest.

The only times where he did try to influence the Leshens, was when they were highly emotional. Even then, that was merely done as a friend, trying to calm down and soothe their agitation.

Not to domineer, subdue and treat them as his servants.

He stated that out loud, making it a point that Jesse was not the Leshen's master, nor would he ever be.

Hisoka hummed in agreement. "We never thought you were, Jesse. My educated guess is that at least your elven nature allows you to connect closer to the Leshens. That and the fact that they've selected you as one of their charges."

Gesturing to Xavier and then a wider gesture beyond the house, to the people roaming outside, the Kitsune continued. "Leshens are incredibly intelligent creatures. They have undoubtedly realized that what Xavier and his fellow Improba are doing, is to help you and the other Deprived."

"If they were to harm the Improba here and the guards, they would indirectly harm the Deprived. Leshens adapt, they learn and improvise upon what they've seen."

Hisoka tapped a perfectly manicured nail on the table, pursing their lips in thought. "It's safe to assume that, as long as the people present and visiting pass through the Leshen's inspection, no harm will come to them."

Xavier nodded, smiling as he felt Jesse relax slowly. "As long as we or any visitors do not attempt to harm the Leshen's charges, they are neutral to us."

"Fascinating." Hisoka murmured, eyes flitting to the woods outside. As if hoping they'd manage to get a glimpse of the Leshens.

Even the Council was wary of any Leshens they encountered. These creatures were rare, dangerous and lethal to boot. Thanks to being a Kitsune, Hisoka knew a moderate amount of research that was done on Leshens.

But said research was very limited and mostly done from hearsay and the few witness encounters they had. After all, it wasn't often that a Leshen left witnesses of their destructive trail.

And if the Council sent out researchers, they would always come back confused, without so much as a trace of Leshens to be found. Even if the area they investigated was said to be a guaranteed encounter with a Leshen.

"Perhaps, if you can inquire on my behalf, I would love to learn more about the Leshens." Hisoka stated with a hopeful look at Xavier and Jesse.

"Do understand, I don't see these creatures as test subjects. But as a Kitsune, my thirst for knowledge is like an itch I can't reach. I need to know more whenever I can research something."

Jesse nodded slowly, having seen something similar with Robbie. The younger Kitsune was always nose deep in a book when he wasn't diligently serving his master after all.

A sudden yawn escaped Jesse, making him blush as he desperately fought to hide it. Xavier and Hisoka chuckled lightly before Jesse felt lips press against his temple.

"Do you want to stay and rest here, or do you want to go upstairs to your bed?" His Chosen murmured against his ear, making Jesse shiver before his fingers latched onto Xavier's shirt.

Refusing to let go.

"It's normal that the medicine will make you feel tired. Like I said, rest whenever you can." Hisoka reminded gently before conversing with Xavier about the security measures he had taken.

Jesse listened absentmindedly, allowing the deep rumbling against his ear along with the steady heartbeats to slowly draw him under.

And for the very first time, he slept withoutever thinking about James.