𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞.

Start from the beginning

By now, everybody had stopped whatever they had been doing to stare at the commotion unfolding itself, hushed whispers already boiling in the bystanders' throats to murmur about once the ordeal was over with. Great. Fucking great. Now you had attention on yourself.

"I have to go, Alastor. I'll see you." Taking your bag, you stood from the table and left the coffee shop, tears biting the corners of your eyes as the cold began to freeze them. Alastor sat staring after you, his eyes wide and mouth slightly agape. Was that it? He rubbed his eyes underneath his glasses and stood up, listening as whispers broke out across the café. He didn't have to listen to know that they were talking about him. Probably thinking you were his square or something of the sort.

Of course there was nothing like that between the two of you. He knew you were a close friend and he wouldn't change that for the world, but now you had run off and it might be another long few weeks — possibly months — until your next meet-up was planned. What the hell is she doing anyway?

-

You sat silently in the hotel room, thinking of some way you could make up for being so inconsiderate about Alastor's feelings, your fingers adjusting the thong you wore a little. Perhaps the festival before Christmas? That sounded good. But you were still only in October, so the festival was another good couple of months away. Alastor would be mad that you were ignoring him for so long. You frowned and tapped your chin.

I'll see if I can get the evening off tomorrow.

Hopefully Damien wouldn't suddenly book you for a last minute appointment. What you remembered from the gossip around the strip joint was that a young female prostitute, Liliana Aberdeen, was going to be a taking heavy night shift with quite an important client the next evening; one that always paid extra for the best of the best. Aberdeen had been out for a few weeks just pulling together some cash from quick blows, but now she had been reassigned to someone. Normally that would have been you, instead of Liliana, and with enough luck, it'll stay with Liliana.

A resounding knock at the door made you jump, hurrying to open it and greet your next client, a tall man — somewhat plump — waiting with a grin on his face. Oh boy.

-

The night was cold and the wind whipped through your hair. You had gone down to Damien's little speakeasy to ask him for the next night off, which he agreed to. He told you since you had been "such a good kitten", his words, not yours — you could have one night to yourself. You couldn't thank him enough, and eventually he did end up sending you out of his office after you had "really thanked him". He had kissed your lips and sent you on your way, a heavy blush coated your cheeks at the action. Not because you liked him though, he tasted too strongly of alcohol and smoke for that.

Now on your way home, you spotted the entrance to the woods and sighed, angling your feet in that direction and beginning to walk towards Alastor's place. He wouldn't mind if you dropped by just for a quick visit, right?

You hopped over the small stream running through the woods, owls cooing to each other in the trees. The bushes moved every now and then as small critters rummaged about for food, the small patters of their footsteps seeming a little unsettling in the dark of the night.

What if that cut-throat gets me?

The thought was shoved to the back of your skull the second it popped up in your mind. The only reason they would have any business coming all the way out here would be to try and target Al, and so far all the murders seemed (fairly) randomized. Which is why you were scared about walking the streets at night.

Alastor's house of brick and wood stood menacingly in front of you, the vines seeming to creep like tentacles while a small light inside barely cast itself out the window. Your lungs expanded with a deep breath as you wandered up the steps to knock on the door, some muffled speech sounding behind the barrier as soon as your knuckles had met it.