Chapter 6

Pure silence settles over the three men like a smothering blanket for a few terrifying seconds, both Arthur and Merlin wide eyed with terror, then;

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Uther looks beyond shocked and livid as he storms into Arthur's chambers, making both Arthur and Merlin flinch back in anticipation.

"You..." Uther's eyes flame with fury as he raises back a hand and slaps Merlin hard across the face, so hard that Merlin stumbles backwards. "You are a DISGRACE to Camelot! GUARDS!!" He hollers over his shoulder, and two guards rush into the room. "Take him to the dungeons. Make sure he's beaten."

"NO!" Arthur shouts, immediately standing between the guards and Merlin. "Father, no, please, let me-"

"I'll deal with you later!" Uther hisses, grabbing Arthur's arm and tearing him away. The guards grab Merlin roughly, practically yanking him off his feet as they drag him across the floor and out of Arthur's chambers.

It's all Merlin can do to look over his shoulder at Arthur one last time, his eyes wide with terror, before the guards drag him out into the hall and out of sight.

Uther doesn't speak for a few moments after he and Arthur are alone. His entire body visibly shakes with rage and anger, and he seems about one second short of loosing his poorly maintained composure and flying off the handle.

Even in his drunken state, Arthur knows well enough to be scared and cautious. How would he explain his actions to his father? His alcohol-clouded mind races to come up with an excuse, some explanation that would get Merlin out of harm's way...but even he himself did not know the reason why he'd almost kissed Merlin. Or if he did, the answer lay deep within his heart and mind, in places so scarcely explored Arthur didn't dare think about it.

"Have you lost your mind?"

Uther's quiet voice makes Arthur flinch. A chill runs down his spine. Arthur knew that when his father yelled, he was very angry. But when he was quiet....that's when Arthur knew to be scared.

Arthur's lips part. "I......"

Uther turns to him slowly, complete and utter disgust and fury written across his features.

Tears begin to sting Arthur's eyes. He hated when Uther looked at him like that...like he was the worst disappointment his father had ever known. "I...I don't know what came over me, father....But I assure you, Merlin had nothing to-"

"Be silenced." Uther silences Arthur with a hand. "I haven't the patience to talk to you now." He turns sharply on his heel, walking briskly to the doors. "I expect a worthy explanation of your....revolting actions tomorrow morning." With that, he storms out.

Arthur slowly sinks to his knees, trembling. "What have I done...." he mutters to himself, tears blurring his vision. "What have I done...?"