Chapter 4

Merlin had been to a great number of feasts and banquets during his time as manservant to Arthur, but never once had he seen a dinner with fancier dishes, more guests, or a wider variety of entertainment.

He stood over by the wall with the other servants, watching as jugglers performed elaborate tricks with balls, hoops, and knives. He was constantly called upon to refill drinks to the wealthy lords, ladies and dukes who sat amongst the guests for the feast. He'd long since lost track of how many times he'd brought wine over to a particularly large gentleman with a portly moustache. Merlin honestly didn't think the man needed to be drinking any more...he didn't see how the bloke would be able to walk straight after the banquet, but he kept quiet and did his job.

Merlin finally catches a bit of a break when a trio of singers come out to perform a song in honour of Arthur's birthday, and he leans heavily against the wall, wiping his brow with the sleeve of his shirt. His eyes drift closed after a moment, and he's lulled in to a stupor with the sound of the singing as background noise. His momentary respite doesn't last long, however, as Gaius nudges him and points to another nobleman waving a hand for his service.

Sighing and rubbing his eyes, Merlin grabs a pitcher of ale off a passing maid's platter and heads over to refill the man's drink. Merlin tries his best not to lean across the man as he pours, as he's been snapped at more than once by an annoyed nobleman for doing so. But due to the awkward angle he attempts to pour at, he misses the man's goblet and sloshes a bit of wine in to the man's dinner platter, all over his food.

Merlin cringes, inwardly cursing himself. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

His apologies are cut off when the man backhands him roughly across the face before snapping at him to freshen his plate. Merlin, with his cheek stinging and eyes watering, backs away from the table, wine doused food in hand.

Arthur's wine goblet was halfway to his lips when he saw one of his guests hit Merlin. White hot anger bubbles up inside him and he sets down his goblet roughly on the table. He rises quickly, drawing the eyes of many.

Uther attempts to grab Arthur's arm. "Arthur!" He hisses. "Sit down. You're embarassing."

Arthur tears his arm free of his father's grasp and leaves the table, brushing past the oblivious singers, who continue their song. He strides over to Merlin, catching his free wrist with his hand, stopping him in his tracks. "Merlin."

Merlin turns to face him with watery eyes.

"Are you alright?" Arthur's voice is quiet as he eyes the hand mark left on Merlin's cheek by the man.

Brief surprise crosses Merlin's face, and he nods, blinking back the moisture from his eyes. "Yes," he says, touched that Arthur had left the table to see him. "It isn't the first time." He laughs slightly, even though he doesn't find this particularly amusing.

Arthur's grip on Merlin's wrist unintentionally tightens, his eyes becoming dangerously dark. "Why have you never come to me." He states, rather than asking.

Merlin blinks, looking a bit confused. "It happens..." He shrugs a shoulder. "You have more important things on your mind."

Arthur glances over his shoulder back to the table, catching a warning look from Uther. He turns back to Merlin and closes his eyes for a moment, composing himself. "Take the plate back. Tell him it is complimentary of the Prince." Then, seeing the reluctance crossing Merlin's face, he adds, "I won't let him touch you again."

Merlin hesitates, then walks back over to the nobleman, setting the wine soaked plate in front of him. He clears his throat. "Complimentary of the Prince."

The man looks at the plate, then up at Merlin. Rage crosses his face, and he raises a hand to strike him again. Merlin flinches. Then the man seems to fully realize what Merlin had said and lowers his hand, glaring at him before turning back around and staying silent.

A satisfied smirk plays across Arthur's lips as he returns to his seat beside his father, watching the nobleman's face. "Good Merlin." He mutters to himself, catching Merlin's eye briefly and raising his goblet in cheers. His stomach flutters when Merlin smiles, but he blames it on the alcohol. Of course it was the wine, he says to himself. But deep down...he knew it was something more.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This chapter is from an rp between @Darya2m and myself. All of Arthur's actions are hers.