ii.i. a sparrowful dinner

from the narrative of each sparrow

[06]
JAYME HARGREEVES

Jayme almost regretted her decision. From the moment she half-invited Celeste Finlay to have dinner with them, she second guessed her judgement of character. Only one thought occupied her mind: "Just what on Earth was I doing?"

Celeste was not too bothered at first. In fact, she was more keen on getting even with Ben. However, as soon as she stepped into their home -- disbelief briefly washed over her face, perhaps sharing the same sentiment as Jayme: "Just what on Earth did I agree to?"

Jayme kept her eyes straight ahead, although aware of Celeste's steps behind her. She accidentally made eye contact with Ben, who raised a questioning brow at her.

She shook her head -- if only she knew the answer to the unspoken question.

The group finally made it to the dining room in their new wing. Celeste pulled up a seemingly random seat, one in between Ben and Christopher and across from Jayme.

Jayme sucked in a breath. Now she knew the answer to Ben's query just moments ago. The act took less than ten seconds. Celeste simply pulled back a seat and sat down. Maybe it was even less than ten seconds. However, within that small time frame, she felt a sinking feeling in her stomach as realisation dawned on her.

And really, the explanation was so simple. She didn't know why she had a hard time figuring out. Celeste Finlay looks like how their Celeste would look like if she lived to see 32 years old. It was an old observation of hers, but it never stopped her from wanting to spend more time with her sister's lookalike doppelgänger, even.

And a small act of Celeste Finlay taking someone else's seat? Unintentional or not she saw a glimpse of their very own Number 8.

It was a scene so small yet so realistic that not even her hallucinogens could think to produce it.

[03]
FEI HARGREEVES

Fei never said a word about Celeste taking her seat, and instead sat on their Celeste's usual chair on Jayme's right.

"I assume there's no need for a tour?" Fei asked Celeste while transferring the contents of the takeout boxes to plates and setting them in a neat row in the centre of the table.

"No need." Celeste lied. The entire facility was new, and it led her to wonder what other places have changed in ways she didn't notice during the fight. Jayme seemed to have noticed, giving a similar yet rephrased offer to Celeste. This time, she accepted with a smile.

When Fei finally finished, all Sparrows, but one, were already seated, placing their chosen food on their respective plates.

Ben looked reached for the Okonimiyaki before Celeste could, his chopsticks slapping hers away. "Where's Sloane?" He asked innocently as Celeste glared holes at his head.

"Busy." Fei chirped, not wanting to explain anything into detail. Not yet, at least. "She may come down later."

He gave a curt nod in response, turning to Celeste. He noticed that her plate was filled, but the food remained untouched. For a while, she was just staring at it blankly. "We just returned your brother to show good will. What's the use of poisoning you?"