ii. sparrows' sorrow

C H A P T E R   T W O

They were all simply in relief that it was over, and that they won, but relief can only go so far into making one feel better.

"She looks like how an older Celeste would if she never. . ." Jayme trailed off, her treadmill getting slower.

"She said her name was 'Celeste Finlay', though." Alphonso interjected. "While we were fighting, I made sure to ask first."

"A random girl," Ben had a stern look on his face. "Who looks like Celeste, has the same powers as Celeste, and shows up with seven other idiots claiming to be 'Hargreeves' is named Finlay? That's a lie."

"Ben—" Jayme began.

"Whatever this is, this isn't our Celeste. She was a joke who ran away from two opponents and blew things up like an amateur arsonist — not even a glimmer of what ours could do. Ours is dead and she died in my arms, so don't go easy on her and don't pull any bullshit because of her."

Marcus put the treadmill on a higher setting. "I agree. Let's move on to the first one. Big one is strong, but slow. Possibly stupid and lacks technique. . . he's some sort of Simian hybrid."

The others nodded their heads. "Who took the little jumpy guy?" Sloane asked.

"Me." Jayme said. "Just gave him a spanking and sent him to school." She high-fived Alphonso next to her.

"The skinny one is their weakling." Fei added.

"Unless hiding behind the couches shouting 'Where's my daddy?' is his superpower." Ben remarked. "Enough post-gaming. They disrespected us, Marcus. We need to be out there finding these freaks and taking them out."

"Oh. You mean like this?" Marcus challenged, turning on the TV. It showed a slow-mo playback of Vanya's powers sending their team flying back. "Can someone explain how you got your asses handed to you in 30 seconds? Do you have any idea what would happen to our reputation if anyone had seen that?! We haven't faced decent enemies for years. This could be good for us — good for business — but only if we're smart with our next move."

Reginald entered the room. "You summoned, Number One?"

"Sit. You spent time with these people. What's your assessment?"

"Unimpressive Neanderthals on a day pass. Cried too much and showered too little. The only thing they lacked more than the gift was regard for one another."

"No loyalty." Ben nodded. "We can use that."

". . . And Celeste?" Jayme asked Reginald.

He confirmed and backed up Ben's earlier statements. "Not the same Celeste you all grew up with. Stupid, impulsive, lacks control as much as she lacks power. Completely different person."

Marcus got off his treadmill. "Good. Give a full report to Christopher."

Before he left, Reginald gave his final words. "Still. I wouldn't underestimate the Umbrella Academy. Yes, their skills are as lacking as their hygiene, yet somehow they saved the world in 1963. Had they not, none of you would be standing here now. Perhaps I misjudged them." At the stares the Sparrow Academy gave him, he quickly turned to leave the room. "Yes, yes. I'm going."

Marcus left the room shortly afterward to begin his push-ups at the Academy's rooftop, but as he held on to the bars, he saw the face of the one who kicked everyone's asses — the Umbrella Academy's very own Number Seven.

. . .

"Good morning, Celeste." Klaus greeted as soon as she made way to their table. "Cheers to our day 2 in this timeline."