Chapter One

I jump awake from a nightmare. My heart thunders in my chest as I try to slow down my breathing. I shake my head to clear my thoughts but the dream stays fresh in my mind. I huff in frustration and get up onto my strong legs. No point in going back to sleep.

My gaze sweeps over the star filled sky. I follow the stars all the way to the tree line when a blurry line catches my gaze. Probably just some more campers. I swear, humans come into the woods every weekend to camp in the woods and watch the wildlife. *cough* Me. *cough*

I laugh at myself and trot in the direction of the smoke. When I get there, I instantly recognize their scents. Man, will these humans ever give up. I close my eyes and picture my human form. My bones pop back into place and I dust off the shirt I was wearing.

I smile semi-evilly and tamper with a few things. Okay, I kind of screwed with about everything. Tied impossible knots in ropes, set traps, pulled the stakes out of the tents, spilt food, maybe a wild creature in each of their tents....nothing much. These idiots have been trying to catch me for about two months and I always manage to stay out of any ropes and traps.

I shift back and hide behind some trees. I start counting down...'5....4....3...2..1!' Screams sound from the tents as the men wake up from their tent guest. The tents fall from the commotion.

"DAM HORSE!" Someone shouts and I let out a humored neigh. I then bolt from the campsite and into the depths of the ever lightning forest. I still run even though I know they can't catch me. Even with their own horses, I'm still yards ahead.

I close my eyes and savor the feeling of the wind whipping through my hair. The grass slaps at my strong legs as I push myself to go faster.

I eventually hit the edge of the forest outside of the city before I shift back. I silently roll my shoulders and my neck before making my way towards the high school. I know that school doesn't start for another hour or so but I don't have any friends to hang out with so why not.

I climb one of the school yards oaks and sit in my favorite branches. I close my eyes and relax. I jump awake when voices are heard underneath me.

"God I hate school! I don't even get the point of this when I'm learning nothing." Head jock, Tyler Smith, exclaims while tossing a football in the air. You don't learn because you are an idiot.

'What do you expect out of a human?' Nyla, my inner horse, snorts. Agreed. I sit sideways on the branch and jump off. I land behind him and kick his feet out from underneath him.

"What the hell, Maine!" The other jocks snicker at him before walking away. Okay, so I lied about the no friends part. Tyler is my only friend.

"It was so perfect though! You didn't even know I was there so I had to." I say while crossing my arms over my chest.

Tyler shakes his head in amusement and stands up. "Yeah, you absolutely had to trip me?"

"Yes I did. You would have done it too!" I say while pointing at him.

He lifts his hands up in surrender. "I will admit I would have done it too. Well I got to go. I'll see you later?"

"Yup. See ya." I say while he walks towards his jocky buddies. I make my way inside the school and to my crappy little locker. My mood instantly falls when I look at the picture I hung on the door.

A man with dark brown hair stands sideways while holding a beautiful woman with white hair. Both of their hands rest on the woman's clearly pregnant stomach. A traitorous tear slips from my eye as I look at the only picture of my parents and me.

I quickly wipe the tear away and grab my things. I slam the locker shut and make my way to my class. I slam my things down on the black table and fall into my chair.

'Why must we be here? Its so boring and I'd rather be running through our meadow! Yet we sit here on our lazy butt and learn humanly things.' Nyla complains.

'Well, unless you never want to eat any deep fried foods ever again, we need to get money to buy it. If I learn to do humanly things, I will be able to get a job to get money. I will let you take control and run for a while when we get home. Okay?' I negotiate.

She huffs but agrees before going back into my head. I smile and turn my attention to the door when my fellow classmates file in. The teacher follows after them and shuts the door.

"Good morning class. Today we will be doing a lab today. We are going to be mixing different elements together and find our their reactions. Now everyone pair up." There was an odd number in our class and Tyler is my only friend so I always ended up by myself.

I go to the back of the classroom and grab some chemicals before going back to my seat. God I hate this stuff. The teacher starts adding things together and I do the same because I didn't know anything about the chemicals. I accidentally put a green chemical into the main one instead of a yellow one and the whole thing blows up. God I hate science.

Everyone turns around and laughs at me. I huff in annoyance and sit down in my seat. "I hate science..." I sit there for the rest of the period and wait for the bell to eventually ring.

I'm the first one out of the classroom as the bell sounds. Freaking finally...one class down, six more to go.

πΠπΠπΠπΠπΠπ

I make my way to an empty table in the cafeteria and bury my hands in my arms. I start to fall asleep only to be rudely awakened by a tray slamming against the table.

"Whyyyy....?" I groan and squint my eyes against the lights. Tyler smiles at me and eats the food off of his tray as if nothing happened.

"Why what? I didn't do anything."

I sit up in my chair. "You know what you did. I was this close from sleeping." I say while pinching my fingers in front of his face.

He shrugs his shoulders. "Well...I do believe that this is Second Lunch and not Nap Time. You should go get some food before they close the kitchen."

I mumble incoherent words under my breath as I 'walk' towards the kitchen. And when I say walk, I actually mean drag my feet in the direction of the door. I immediately go to the salad bar and load a paper bowl with salad. Being a horse shifter has its downfalls meaning, I'm a forced vegetarian.

I walk back to the table after paying for my salad and sitting down. "I got food. Happy?" I ask Tyler as I stab the green leafs with a plastic fork.

He looks at my food with disgust. "I still can't understand why you can't eat meat like a regular person."

"I've told you before that I simply can't eat it. I you've seen me try to eat meat before or have you forgotten?"

"I didn't know you were going to throw up on my shoes! Those were my favorite shoes..." Tyler says while looking at his current shoes. I pick up my now empty tray and throw it away just as the bell rings.

"I'll see you later, Tyler." I wave to him and exit the cafeteria.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello. I hope you liked this chapter. Well....I got nothing else to really say. So, bye!

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

-Shay V--V