Lost

"Oh Allera" Jenny loudly exclaims. Her outburst pulls me from my recollection and she brings me in for a hug. I feel her tears dampen my shoulder as my own eyes begin to sting. Our embrace ends and I wipe my face. Something doesn't feel right. Jenny has always been supportive but I have known her my whole life and could read her easily. She was not simply crying over the events of my day. There was more going on.

The moon was sinking lower into the night and it would not be long before the sun emerged and I was forced to continue on with my life and pretend that I was okay. My mom was sure to be flaunting my sister and my former alpha mate to the whole pack. I wonder for a moment how many people would even know that she was with my goddess given mate. My mind was swimming with out of control thoughts. I came to the realization that I was living a reality that I could not control. I did not know how the rest of the events would play out and I was not able to stop words that would be said about me.

That realization shook me to my core as I developed a headache. I wish Merci would come forward and give me advice, I could still feel her presence, but she was tired and weak. Glancing over at my friend, I had an urge to solve the mystery in front of me. I looked into Jenny's blue eyes and could see sadness and something else.

"Jenny. I didn't see you at the pack run tonight." I say as I look out over the ridge that we had been sitting on.

Jenny sighed. "Allera. Now is not the ti—"

"Please don't start keeping things from me now" I interrupt. "I am happy for you. I will be okay" I force a smile as the puzzle pieces click together in my mind. The pack run is primarily for unmated adults. If a wolf finds their mate they are excused from attending. It was rare for mated wolves to attend and they usually came with their significant others.

"I-I am leaving in the morning. He is a-a warrior from Red Clay." Jenny struggles to finish her sentence.

"I will be okay. You should be with your mate tonight. Not trying to talk me off the ledge." I chuckle and gesture to the cliff we were sitting on. Jenny looks at me with concern. I can hear the wind calling my name and tempting me. I shake my head in hopes to scatter the intrusive thoughts.

"We are still going to stay friends." Jenny says. I am not sure if she was trying to convince herself of me of that. "We can always visit each other." Jenny smiles.

"I don't think I will be very welcomed after rejecting the Alpha and punching the future Luna." I chuckle.

"True." Jenny sighs. "I do mean it Allera. Us forever. I will visit you as much as I can, I promise."

I smile hoping that my friend was able to keep her promise despite her moving to another pack. Daylight has began to peek over the horizon threatening to push out the darkness. I stand and give my friend a final, painful hug. We exchange goodbyes and I remind her to text me updates as she travels. Jenny disappears into the tree line and I let out a tired sigh.