"I hope I didn't scare you," Quasimodo whispers once the guard's pass. 

"Not for an instant," Esmeralda smiles, ignoring how his goat very vocally disagrees. 

Quasimodo then looks down sadly. "I'll never forget you, Esmeralda."

Esmeralda sets a hand lightly on his face, surprising him. 

"Come with me," the gypsy grins. 

"What?!" 

"To the Court of Miracles, leave this place!"

This statement catches the heroes' attention. The Court of Miracles. The place where the gypsies were hiding; Esmeralda must live there, they all think silently. 

"Oh no," Quasimodo shoots down the idea. "I'm never going back out there again. You saw what happened today," the poor boy looks so heartbroken. "No, this is where I belong."

"Alright, then I'll come to see you!" Esmeralda shoots back, completely unfazed. The adults stifle their chuckles at Esmeralda's smug smile and Quasimodo's shocked face. 

 "Here?!" The hunchback rambles anxiously, "but the soldiers, and Frollo-!"

"I'll come after sunset."

"But, a-a-at sunset I ring the evening mass, a-a-and after that I clean the cloysters and then I ring the bespers and-"

Esmeralda cuts the boy off by pressing a kiss to his cheek, making the boy freeze before looking at the gypsy with an adoring expression. "Whatever's good for you."

 Dinah, Bruce, and Arthur laugh softly, especially at the displeased faces Dick and Kaldur are making. 

The heroes stop laughing and pay special attention, however, when the gypsy boy pulls out a peculiar pendent attached to a necklace from behind his ear and presents it to Quasimodo. 

"If you ever need sanctuary, this will show you the way." Esmeralda places the necklace on Quasimodo, who looks down at it curiously. "But how?" He asks. 

"Just remember, when you wear this woven band, you hold the city in your hand." Esmeralda says mysteriously. 

The heroes become quiet, thinking over the message the gypsy was trying to send. Somehow, whatever Esmeralda gave Quasimodo could lead him to the Court of Miracles. 

As Quasimodo tucks the band into his shirt, Djali bleats, warning them of more soldiers heading their way. 

"Hurry, you must go." Quasimodo urges. 

Esmeralda doesn't waste another moment, taking hold of Djali and sliding smoothly down a short rope to the ground, before he disappears into the night. 

After that, the heroes witness the captain of the guards confronting Quasimodo about the gypsy boy's whereabouts when the hunchback makes it back into the Cathedral. Quasimodo chases the guard off with a torch, repeating "no soldiers, sanctuary! Get out!" He ignores the captain's argument of how he means the boy no harm and succeeds in getting the man to leave. 

However, before he does, he turns to the hunchback. 

"He's lucky, to have a friend like you."

The heroes leave after that, they had a lot to think about. 

They leave Quasimodo to the company of his gargoyle friends, congratulating him on defending 'his boy,' and watching as the hunchback lovingly carves a beautiful, familiar figure of a gypsy out of wood.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elsewhere, a corrupt judge reflects over his increasing lust for the gypsy boy named Esmeralda...