Lady Thea Parker

The London Society was not surprised when the Queen announced Lady Thea Parker, the Diamond of the season, on a bright Thursday morning

The London Society was not surprised when the Queen announced Lady Thea Parker, the Diamond of the season, on a bright Thursday morning. It was not like she needed it to help her catch a high-rank gentleman of ton.

Lady Parker was perfection, taken after her mother, the late Duchess of London. She was small and slim but with a lovely pert bosom that all gentlemen in ton were eyeing and desiring, even with her modest neckline at her presentation in court. With her piercing blue eyes, rather pleasing smile and button-pointed little nose, she would attract any suiter even without her fat dowry and the Diamond of the season title.

As her mother died when she was the mere age of ten, the Dowager of London presented Lady Parker to the King & Queen as she had taken it upon herself to help her son shape Thea into the most exquisite lady in society.

Of course, the Dowager of London ensured she had the best education regarding finishing school and language tutors. But it was her father that insisted that Thea also should be tutored from a young age in physics, mathematics, astronomy, literature, and many other things that, at her time, were only acquainted with boys.

The Parker family was always ahead of their time. Her grandmama knew the importance of a lady in family affairs. It was imperative for the lady of the house to entertain the guests and facilitate the environment in her husband's favour. And after so many years polishing her skills, the young Lady Parker was ready to do exactly that for her future husband.

She had time to practice everything her father and grandmama had taught her. By age four and ten, Lady Parker was already helping her grandmama run the London Palace, the permanent residence of the Parker Family. She knew it was her job to ensure everything went perfect when any head of the Estate, diplomats or influential business partners were guests at the Palace.

Lady Parker was clever as any Parker gentleman. She would do her research beforehand about the guest and their entourage. Prepare the menu with the cook with the guests' preferences and order the housekeeper how to prepare each room to receive them. And, of course, all the entertainment for their staying would be meticulously planned. Everybody was impressed in the end with how welcome the Parkers were, leading them to have a triumph in business, without the so-hated verdict at the end of any visit "we need to think further."

Most of the ladies of the ton only occupied their passing time thinking about balls, dresses and hats. Of course, she liked them too. Lady Parker dressed impeccably and would be the talking of the ton with her debutante wardrobe. But she was not raised to be labelled as an ornament as many pretty ladies that did not know how to converse were. Lady Parker would have more than the weather to talk about with her husband when the time comes. And once she was the lady of her house, she would help him increase their wealth. Like she had done for her family.

Her father always had reservations about her cleverness, not because he was not proud of her accomplishments. But because not many people in England knew about how the Parker ladies were raised. Many gentlemen were still closed off, thinking the wives had no business helping them.