The ball

The Spirits talked for a while longer but eventually they gave up. In their desperate effort to discover the secret of their Queen and sister they had started making up scenarios that looked more like movie scripts. This wasn't their fault. They didn't have any information on their hands and truth be told they couldn't trust the given information anyway.

They were all silent,thinking when suddenly the door opened and Eve came inside the room. Everyone was surprised and a little afraid. Has someone informed Eve of their secret meeting?

-I was told I would find you here. There is something very important we need to discuss.,her tone was flat,serious,without color just like it had been all this year. Even Mary hated that tone. It made Eve sound like a soul giving advice to the living rather than a young and energetic ruler.

-Now that you mention it,yes there is indeed something that needs to be discussed. Fotini probably thought this was an excellent opportunity to ask directly what was going on.

-Everything else,but this,can wait. I want you all to clear your schedules for next Friday. The Dark Queen and I decided to organise a ball. Alongside our usual quests,the Shadows Princes will also attend with a handful of guards and a few other Shadows.So we better start planning.

Everyone stared at her like there was something wrong with her. Everyone had the same thoughts but they didn't know how to express them. At the end Mary decided to voice her opinion.

-So you are saying that the Dark Queen agreed to this?

-She was the one that proposed the idea

-Why?

-She said it was time to put our differences aside and start a new era together. She thinks a social gathering would be a perfect starting point.

-And you want us to believe that someone who up until last year didn't even want to set foot on this castle,who was always absent during our meetings with the Shadows,who hated us enormously,is interested in universal peace?

-Ask her,dont ask me

No,I'm asking you because....

-One moment please because there is another problem with this proposal. Eve,you know that Thanos will be reborn soon,and when I say soon I mean within the next 15 days. Don't you think it is a bit risky to invite them to such a tiring event? Aside from the fact that I doubt that Haures has the energy to deal with this kind of obligation right now,there is the possibility that the energy lines will break during the ball and I don't need to explain to you that the birth of a Shadow Prince inside the High Spirits' palace would be a diplomatic nightmare.,Andromeda explained, trying to convince Eve that this ball was a very bad idea without this conversation turning into a fight.

-Your concerns are valid,Andromeda,but you must admit that this is too good of an opportunity to pass up. Johanna will also be present so medical assistance will be available if anything were to happen. Anyway,I already accepted the proposal so I can't turn back now. I will return soon with the plans.

As she turned to leave,Erika made a strange comment

-I'm not sure if this new found docility towards the Dark Queen is a sign of compromise for the sake of peace or a sigh of surrender.

The Queen didn't turn to answer her sister. She just stopped walking to show that she heard her and she exited the room.

-She doesn't believe what she said,Erica continued

-What do you mean?,Fotini asked

-Her posture,her tone,her look. In front of us wasn't a person that was ready to defend something they believe is right. And we know Eve.When she agrees with something,she can get pretty defensive. On the contrary,this wasn't my sister. Or,to be more precise,this person that spoke to us wasn't a Queen. She was simply a messenger.And a reluctant one.,Erica said