An unexpected tragedy

Start from the beginning

-To which of my brothers are you referring your Grace?

-Nevermind,i got my answer. Paimon i know it is neither the time or the way to discuss this but you know we must

-Not with you. There is nothing to discuss anyway

-Nothing? Your younger brother,the Shadow of Death,is killed which means he has to be reborn and soon for that matter. Your oldest brother is on the verge of insanity from grief. Generally speaking the Ruling Class of Shadows is falling apart which could affect the balance of energy in all the multiverse. Paimon,im not trying to fool you. It is in everyone's best interest for Thanos to be reborn as soon as possible. Give me the name and i will help protect the carrier.

-It's complicated

-How? Its common knowledge there is a list of rebirthing-carriers for every Shadow. You are shapeless. You choose a gender to communicate with the humans but that depends on your personality. Your chosen gender doesnt restrict you,physically speaking.

-Eve,you dont understand. He was of royal blood. We cant have him being reborn by a lower class Shadow. He is dead. For good

I felt that the world started spinning around me. This wasnt happening.

-How long can you keep Haures sane?

There was no use avoiding the truth anymore

-He is a responsible Prince. He wont abandon his duties. But we need someone else to take over Thanos's duties. I haven't brought up that subject yet. Haures wont take it nicely. For now i have a funeral to organise. And one last thing...

-Yes?

-Hope for a miracle. You and I know well enough that now Thanos is dead there will be nothing holding back Haures's violent and short-tempered personality. He is going to be dangerous from now on. I know its illogical to hope and ask of the Grand Ruler to do the same but you never know.

-I know. If there is a way for Thanos to return, even with limited chances, lets hope the Universe will give him a chance. My condolences to you and your brother

-I doubt he can hear anything right now but thanks regardless

He hung up and i laid my head on top of my desk. I wanted to sleep but i couldnt.

I had to inform Angelica of these new circumstances without revealing the death of one the pillars of the universe. If the humans discover this before Paimon finds a replacement,the consequences will be irreversible. But Angelica had to know that she was safe. For the time being.

Its been three weeks since Thanos's funeral and Paimon was living the worst days of his existence. Haures was falling apart. Right now he was sleeping and Paimon was grateful for that.He had expected this reaction despite acting calm while talking to the Queen. Haures raised Thanos from infancy. This thought made his mind drift to these old days.

Haures used to be violent,ruthless and unessesarily cruel when humanity was still at its beginning. But their numbers had started to increase dangerously so their Dark Ruler,their leader before Haures, created a new Shadow and appointed Haures with its training and care. Needless to say Haures was more than displeased. At first he didnt even want to look at the baby. Eventually he agreed to raise him because he saw it as a project.

How and when that little creature found its way to Haures's heart remained a mystery. Paimon tried to warn his little brother but he was too proud to listen. When Thanos became 18.000 years old he and Haures had a big argument which resulted in Thanos's banishment. He fled to Earth where some humans found him. They thought of it as a great opportunity for revenge because Thanos was responsible for collecting the souls of the dead so they accounted him responsible for all the deaths of their beloved.

A year after his departure Paimon was getting concerned.Haures was worried as well but he was too stubborn to show it. When Paimon convised him to look for Thanos it was too late.

Haures found Thanos tortuned,beaten and mentally broken. That was the first time anyone has seen Haures this angry. He haunted the humans and he literally skinned them alive. After that incident their relatioship changed. Haures's new behaviour has given the word "overprotectiveness" a whole new meaning. And that new role seemed to give a new,more bright purpose to his existence. Now,with Thanos gone,that light was no more. Paimon wasnt sure anymore if his little brother was ready to return to the previous darkness. And if he wasnt,what would he do to avoid it?

Right now they were at their palace at a remote planet. Even though they didnt need a physical form and therefore neither physical materials they still enjoyed certain luxuries they offered. Haures was asleep in the grand bedroom. He had cried himself to sleep again. Paimon had stopped counting the times it had happened. After the first week they had become too many to count.

A knock was heard at the door. That must be Johanna. Johanna was a Neutral Spirit. They were a group of beings that had certain talents acquired by their extensive communication with the humans and they did not take sides. Johanna in particular was what you might call a "Universal Doctor". She had travelled the multiuniverse for thousands of years studying Medicine in all types of worlds and all types of creatures and when she returned she decided to apply that knowledge,with some modifications, to energy-beings as well. Paimon had asked her to keep an eye on his brother. She had agreed and so she was visiting them once per week to do a examination on Haures's physical health and energy stability.This week she requested to see him twice because she had found some peculiar energy readings in the last examination and she was slightly concerned.

They did not excgange many words. He opened the door for her and then he left the room to allow her to work. Haures was indifferent by Johanna'weekly visits. In reality,he didnt care about anything these days. Anyone could do anything to him in the condition he was in. That's why Paimon had given an order his brother never to be left alone.

Right now he was sitting on top of a sandhill reading a book about tortunes. He enjoyed spending time outside. This planet's thin atmosphere and blazing sun was preventing the existence of any other life form so he and his companions were the only denizens in this barren wasteland. The quietness and stillness of this place calmed his nerves like nothing else.

Speaking of nerves, Johanna was late. Usually she had finished the examination in two hours and by now the sun was setting. She had arrived at midday. Something was wrong. He had to return home,which he should have done hours ago.

He found Johanna pacing at the front hall clearly upset. If he wasnt concerned before,he surely was now.

Where were you? I sent someone to find you but it is impossible to find anything in this world of sand,Johanna said with the anxiety clear in her voice

-Is my brother ok?

Paimon really did not want to be patronised by a Neutral at this moment.

-I have good news and bad news. The bad news are that Haures is still collapsing mentally and physically. But this is about to change

After those words she handed him a file filled with energy tests. Paimon had seen enough of those to be able to make a conclusion from the first pages already. And it simply was not possible.

-I'm not in the mood for jokes,Johanna.

-I would not joke about something like this. At first i didnt believe it either thats why i ran every test i knew existed and they all came to the same conclusion. Paimon,we need to tell your brother. He is not eating or drinking anything and this is dangerous in his present condition.

-You are right. I will tell him tomorrow. And this goes without saying that this information doesnt leave this room.

-Of course. I will have to find an excuse for coming here so often but i will think of something. Im leaving you the file because i immagine your brother will need some evidence. I have to leave now.

She left in quite a hurry,no doubt wanting to investigate this new finding a bit more. This was definitely going to be a very long year. And now she had to call the Queen. For the first time since he had known her Majesty,he could not think of her reaction to these news.