The Hostage

Clink!..Clink!..Clink!

The sounds of a coin being flicked filled the empty space of alloy walls. A small screen above showed numbers going in ascending order. An android, its LED glowing in sky blue light, stood in the middle, watching in anticipation as his coin bounced around gracefully on his nimble hands and maneuvered his smooth fingers. 

Ding!

Clink!

As the elevator stopped when it reached its destined floor, the android caught the coin between his two fingers. It placed its toy in its pocket, and adjusted its tie before heading out. The lift's doors opened, and unveiled the scene that the android had been waiting for.

Standing by is a member of the police vanguard. Once he saw the android, he quickly headed off and reported to his comrades, his voice recorded on his radio as the android entered. 

"Negotiator on site. I repeat, negotiator on site."

It stepped out, finding itself in a long, messy hallway. The android observed.

Glass shards were evident at the other end. As it looked around, it saw a small black vanity with a family photo framed on top of it. It picked up the photo and analyzed it thoroughly, the LED on the side of its head flickered as its optical UI presented the information gathered from the photo. 

--Phillips, John. Born: 10/11/1999. Lives: 1554 Park Av. Detroit.--

--Phillips, Caroline. Born: 05/23/2001. Lives: 1554 Park Av. Detroit.--

--Phillips, Emma. Born: 09/02/2028. Lives: 1554 Park Av. Detroit.--

The android put down the photo back on the vanity. Looking around some more, the android noticed a fish on the ground, its eyes wide and its mouth gasping for water. It approached the fish out on unfamiliar and dangerous grounds, plopping about the shallow puddle on the floor. The android analyzed the colorful fish.

--Dwarf Gourami. Trigogaster Lalius.--

--Origin: Ganges Delta, India.--

The android's brown eyes gazed at the creature in pondering. Looking up at the aquarium above it, it put two and two together.

The fish must have jumped out of the aquarium by accident.

Placing its gaze back on the fish, he brought his hand to it, gently picking it up from the wet, marble floor. He quickly but carefully, brought the fish back to its home. His hands gracefully sank below the surface of the water as the fish quickly fluttered its fins and swam away, back in its familiar world. He watched for a moment, seemingly mesmerized by the animal before getting back on track with the case it was assigned.

Just before it could enter to share words with the police captain in charge of the case, a middle-aged woman ran up to him, and clasped his arms with her wrinkled hands.

"Oh, please! Please!" she begged, her voice shaking and eyes swollen with tears. "Please, you have to save my little girl!"

The android looked at her with cold, brown eyes, unfazed by her emotions. As the woman observed it, she noticed the serial number on the android's jacket. A blue triangle logo was also embedded on the jacket, along with its model name to the android's right side: RK800. More evidently, its upper right arm had a visible blue band on its outfit.

"W-Wait.." the woman realized, taking her hands off it. "Y-You're sending..an android?" Her voice turned from one of desperation to anger. She glared at the officer who rushed to her side.

"Alright ma'am, we need to go!" he quickly coaxed.

"Y-You can't..you can't do that! Why-?" the woman cried as she was being escorted out of the scene. "WHY AREN'T YOU SENDING A REAL PERSON?!"