Magic Words and a Daring Rescue

Comenzar desde el principio

The man takes a few slow steps in your direction, and you really can't decide if he's brave or just plain stupid. You're about to make a dash for Min-hyuk, but he's suddenly right in front of you. With frightening calmness, he places a firm hand in the center of the man's chest, keeping him from closing the distance to you. Min-hyuk's other hand is still shoved in his pocket. He doesn't say a word. The fact that he hasn't said very much worries you. You have a feeling it's because he's been focusing too hard on not socking this man in the jaw. 

The man gives Min-hyuk a quick side-long glance, but doesn't seem to be very intimidated at the magician's attempts to stop him. He looks past the Min-hyuk in front of him, making eye contact with you again and leans forward ever so slightly.

"The drink offer still stands, sweetheart," he tells you, lowering his voice as if sharing a secret. "Anytime you wanna ditch Mr. Darcy here, just lemme know. I'll take us somewhere we could really have a fun time."

Ignoring the man's words, you quickly make your way to Min-hyuk and grab his arm. His gaze stays locked on the man even as you approach. You really need to get both him and yourself out of here. 

"Min-ah," you plead quietly. "Let's just go, okay?" 

You start pulling on his arm, but he doesn't budge.

"Please, Min-ah. Please let's go," you try again. As you tug his arm this time, he lets you drag him back a step. Then he gently pries his arm away from you, choosing instead to intertwine his fingers with yours. His hand is warm, and his grip is firm but comforting. You don't realize that your hands have been trembling until he gives your hand a gentle squeeze. All the while, he continues his intense staring contest with the man in front of him.

"Do you..." Min-hyuk's quiet voice surprises you. "...believe in magic?"

You're not sure who he's talking to until he finally looks down at you. You can see in his eyes that his question is directed at you. 

You hear the drunk man let out a short bark of laughter. "What's this? Think you're a wizard or something?"

"A magician," Min-hyuk corrects him simply, eyes never leaving yours. He continues to wait for your answer, his face incredibly serious. 

Time seems to come to a standstill as you stare into his eyes. Here he is, asking you again if you believe in magic. You wait, expecting the usual answer to form in your mind: "magic is not real." But that thought never comes. 

Then everything seems to fall into place in your mind. Why can't it be real? Why not? Min-hyuk believes it is... and suddenly that's enough for you. If he believes, then you want to believe with him.... You want him to share his world with you. 

"Yes."

You hear the word, hardly louder than a whisper, and you vaguely realize that it came from your own mouth. You blink once, surprised at yourself. Then, you suddenly gain more confidence in your answer to Min-hyuk's question.

"I believe," you say firmly.

A familiar half smile breaks across his face.

"Then," he says, a mysterious twinkle returning to his eyes. "Care to see a magic trick?"

Without waiting for an answer, he lets go of your hand and takes a step toward the man, who now looks fairly confused at the interaction that just happened between you two. 

"Annara..." he mutters his magic words, almost to himself. "...sumanara."

With that his arm flicks upward, his cloak billowing out behind him, and your view of the man is briefly obscured. As Min-hyuk's cloak settles back into place a second later, your jaw drops.