More Than A Grudge

A/N: I know yall are probably so eager to read what happens next that you don't even want to bother with this author's note SO--my devoted readers-- read on.

________________

Ri-eul's Perspective:

"You still won't confess?"

We've been at this for close to an hour at this point. The detective who asked the question is sitting across from me in the dark questioning room. The handcuffs are cold against my wrists. The dimly-lit room is empty except for the two of us, but I'm sure there's at least one more person watching from the other side of that one-way glass.

All of the so-called evidence is strewn on the table in front of me. There's pictures of a high-school girl and the amusement park, a copy of my high-school ID--even the knife I had threatened Ayi's boss with a few weeks ago. That bastard must have retrieved it when he came back and stole my hat and cloak. It would have had my fingerprints on it, so it would be easy to plant as evidence of a crime I didn't commit. I'm sure he played a major role in all of this. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner.

I can feel the detective's eyes on me, but I'm no longer looking at him. It's been about 15 minutes since I've just given up speaking altogether. What's the point of defending myself if they're already convinced I'm lying? Despite telling him calmly that I had nothing to do with the murder of the poor high-school girl or the recent muggings, he still doesn't believe me. Part of me doesn't blame him. I mean, all the evidence is stacked against me.

But that doesn't change the fact..... that I'm innocent.

I hear the detective sigh. From the corner of my eye, I see him clasp his hands in front of him and lean forward across the table.

"Listen, Minhyuk-ssi," His voice is quieter as he leans forward and I can hear the faintest hint of pleading in his voice. "I know it may not seem like it, but if you give us a confession, things could be a little easier for you legally. You might even be able to get a few years off your sentence. Don't make this more difficult than it has to be."

I don't respond. I can feel his intense gaze on me. I know he's trying to help me. I'm sure he's a good man, just trying to do his job.

But he's got the wrong man. I'm not sure who killed that girl or robbed those people. But it wasn't me.

The poor detective lets out another small sigh before leaning back in his chair, running a hand through his hair in defeat.

"Let's take a break," he says.

With that, he gets up and leaves the room. I'm sure he's going to consult with whoever might be on the other side of the glass, which means I'm most definitely still being watched. A fleeting thought enters my head as I sit in silence. I could just leave.

What's keeping me from just walking out of here? I have my magic, after all. But even without that, I'm still a master of escape. I could just go.

But what would Y/N say if I did that? I'm sure she would be disappointed in me for thinking myself above the law. It would crush her if I went to prison, too, though. So what am I supposed to do?

Help!

Y/N's panicked voice, as clear as though she was standing right next to me, breaks through my internal dialogue, forcing every other thought from my mind. I sit up a little straighter in my chair, instantly alert. Y/N. She's calling out for help. But why? She's at the amusement park. I can sense that much.

.... Min-ah...

The word has all the force of an arrow as it lodges itself in my chest, making it hard to breathe. Her voice sounds so weak and distant. Y/N's in danger. Suddenly, things like obeying the law and facing consequences for a crime I didn't commit don't seem to matter. All I know, and all I can think about, is Y/N. I need to get to her. I don't care what happens after that. They can arrest me again, take me in for more questioning, send me to prison--I don't care. I just need to make sure she's safe.