~Chapter 7~

Gabe

That's the million-dollar question. Short answer: I needed to see her again, and I found myself coming up with any little excuse to do so. Since our lunch meeting, little Sydney Porter—er—Miller has been living rent free in my head. No matter how much I try to tell myself she's my best friend's little sister and very much off limits, her sweet face keeps haunting my dreams night after night. I can't remember the last time I've had to wash my sheets so frequently.

"I wanted to give you Catarina's number."

She scrunches her face before responding. "You didn't have to come all this way. You could've just emailed it."

Of course, I could've, but then I wouldn't have gotten the chance for my ears to be graced by the sweet giggle she just gave.

"I was in the neighbourhood."

That's a bold ass lie, but she doesn't have to know. I got this stupid idea when I finished up a conference call. My head just wasn't in it, and I realized it's because I had Sydney on the brain. After instructing Eliza, my new temp, to rearrange my schedule for the afternoon, I left the office so I could drop by and see her. I didn't even check to see if she was around. She wasn't, but her assistant let me in, which gave me time to look around.

I'm not normally a nosy guy, but having open access to her office was too good to pass up. It looked like a typical, modern New York City office, but I could see she added some personal touches. She has some inspirational quotes interspersed between pictures and awards on the walls. Her desk is neatly organized, with a few photos lining the edge. One is of her, Nick, and their parents at her wedding, another one is of the magazine cover showcasing the tri-state event she planned, and another one is a picture of her and Jeff the day he returned from what I'm guessing was his first deployment. It's a brilliantly candid shot that radiates pure love. Jeff had her held in the air with her legs bent behind her, his eyes beaming as he looked up at her, with Sydney smiling down on him. The relief, happiness, and love between the two of them was so palpable I could feel it. Etched on the frame are the words I'll always come back to you.

"Well, since you're here," she says, nodding as she walks behind her desk, "we can talk about the silent auction."

I don't want to talk about the event. All I can think about is bending her sexy body over that desk and filling her over and over as she whimpers with pleasure. Fuck, what is wrong with me? Clearly, I need to get laid so I can push these inappropriate thoughts of Sydney out of my head.

"Sydney, here are the files you requested." Her assistant comes and rests a couple folders on her desk. As he reaches the doorway, he calls out, "Before you get settled, have you eaten, or did you skip lunch again?"

She rolls her eyes before she catches me watching her reaction. With a slight tinge to her cheeks—why the hell is she so cute when she's embarrassed?—she moves some hair behind her ear before returning her attention to her assistant. "I'm good, Ethan. Thanks."

"Let me know if you change your mind," he says, closing the door behind him.

She takes a seat and opens the top folder, sifting through some papers.

"You haven't had lunch yet?"

"Not yet. This morning was back-to-back meetings, but I'm fine." Her stomach growls in protest, nearly making her jump out of her chair.

"You sure about that?" I ask with a grin.

"Positive." She pulls out a paper and slides it across the desk. "As I was saying—" Her stomach rumbles again. "Oh sugar honey iced tea!"