~Chapter 3~

Gabe

You know the saying "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone"? Never has this been truer than today. I thought I appreciated and valued Samira, but her unexpected absence shows me just how much she does to keep the company — and me — running.

Somehow, I salvaged my meeting with the investors. Nothing went as it should, starting with not having the presentation on-screen, ready for them to look at. For a tech person, it turns out I'm pretty clueless at turning on a SMART board. Thankfully, my COO's assistant stepped in to save the day and has also offered to look into a temp for me while I'm out at this lunch meeting for the gala.

I can't say I'm not mildly irritated that Marilyn bailed on me and is sending some lackey. The rational part of me knows she'd only give me the best of the best if she's not coming herself, but rationality disappeared after the elevator in my building did its routine breakdown, nearly making me late for my lunch meeting with the MANSA rookie. I don't care how skilled she is — Marilyn knows how important this is and shouldn't entrust it to some newbie who has never done this before, especially with Samira being on leave.

I get to the restaurant with two minutes to spare and double check the notes I forwarded to my phone from Samira's computer.

"Welcome to Anchor's Lounge," a dark-skinned goddess greets. "Do you have a reservation?"

"MANSA Events."

Without even glancing at her list, she nods. "Your companion is already here, Mr. Daniels."

I survey the restaurant and spot a woman sitting alone, jotting something down on a notepad. Oh great, she's young too. Probably fresh out of university. At this point, the only thing she has going for her is that she's early. I absolutely can't stand people who don't value other people's time.

"Follow me. I'll take you right in," she says with a smile.

As we approach the table, I see my companion sitting with her head in a folder, studying whatever is inside intently. The hostess, not wanting to interrupt her, motions to the table then walks away. I use this time to observe her and see who I'll be working with.

She's a looker — I'll give her that. Auburn hair framing her face in cascading loose curls, a sweet, innocent-looking face, and surprisingly full lips accentuated by the unconscious sticking out of her tongue as she concentrates. She's a more attractive lunch date than Marilyn, that's for sure, but this isn't a date, it's business.

After a few moments of unabashedly checking her out, I clear my throat to alert her to my presence. She jumps at the sound before looking up at me, her brown eyes widening in shock.

"Gabe?!"

This newbie did not just address me so casually by my first name. Do they not teach proper business etiquette anymore? Any hope I had of this new arrangement working has gone out the window.

"Excuse me, Ms. Miller?"

"Gabe Daniels?" she asks again with a slight smile.

She seems to know me, which throws me off, considering I don't recall ever meeting her before. Trying to maintain a neutral expression, I run through scenarios of who she might be. A one-night stand? It's possible. I don't normally go after women this young, but who knows? If that's the case, I need to assert some authority from the start so she doesn't feel like she can act so familiar with me.

"It's Mr. Daniels." I smirk with satisfaction as I see her face redden at her faux pas. "Do we know each other?"

"Umm..."