chapter 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫.

Start from the beginning

"Hey."

"How did you do that?" I asked, marveling at the artwork on his arm. He was incredibly talented with a brush.

Peeta lifted off his arms, looking down at the paintwork, with a bashful grin. "I, uh, I used to decorate the cakes down at the bakery."

"Oh."

"I'll show you," he said, moving over to one of the live trees growing for reference. Peeta placed his arm against it and my brows lifted in surprise to find it very well camouflaged. "See?"

"Wow," I praised. He watched me for a moment, before catching something over my shoulder. 

"Hey, I think you have a shadow," he whispered. I turned, just spotting Rue, the girl from District 11, peeking out from behind one of the stone columns. 

"Tomorrow, they'll bring you in one by one and evaluate you," Haymitch explained at supper. "This is important, because higher ratings will mean sponsors. This is the time to show them everything." He gestured to me as he continued, "There'll be a bow. Make sure you use it. Peeta, you make sure you show your strength. They'll start with District 1, so the two of you will go last." Haymitch paused, a smirk forming on his face. "Well, I don't know how else to put this. Make sure they remember you."

The waiting was long, and I constantly bumped my knee in anticipation. Finally, my name was called, "Y/N Everdeen." I looked up, then stood, making my way over to the entrance.

"Hey, Y/N?" I turned to Peeta, who was staring at me. "Shoot straight." I nodded, before continuing through the hallway. The gate opened and closed back down again once I stepped through it.

Walking through the Training Center, I tried to focus on the sounds of my footsteps, but the Gamemaker's and the sponsors loud laughter stopped me.

I made my way to the bow and arrow, gliding my hands over the cool steel. With the weapon in hand, I looked over to the watchers, waiting for them to finish their conversations, but to no avail, they continued. 

"Y/N Everdeen," I called, and Seneca glanced down, before focusing, prompting the others to follow suit. "District 12."

I pulled the arrow back but strained slightly. The bow and the string were stiffer than the one back home. When I shot, the arrow completely missed the target, instead hitting the outer lining. The sponsors all chuckled, seeing that there was nothing special about a District 12 girl.

I blinked, incredibly annoyed at how quickly they had assumed my worth and score. I picked another arrow and aimed again. This time, it hit directly in the center chest. 

I smiled, looking back over to the sponsors, expecting some nods and claps, but they had completely ignored me. I watched as Seneca strolled over to everyone, who was gathering around a golden, slow-cooked pig. 

"Hey, hey, hey! Who ordered this pig? Did you get some pig yet?"

I tilted my head. They fucking missed it. Just to eat some pig. I reached over, snatching one of the last arrows, and placing it against the wire. I zeroed my gaze on the gleaming red apple that was in the pig's mouth, before letting it fly.