chapter 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.

ᵗʳⁱᵇᵘᵗᵉ

‧₊˚🏹✩ ₊˚⊹

[ the opening ceremony ]

𝐈 𝐡𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐩𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐞𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐱 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐩 𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠. I had been in the Cleaning and Makeup Center for hours on end. My hair had gotten brushed and cut, I discovered 'skincare'. 

I looked up, finding the two workers who had been performing all this torture on me. One of them was whispering something to the woman, so I spoke up, "What's that?" They ignored me, continuing. "What's that?"

"Oh, we're just saying we might need to hose you down again before we take you to Cinna," he smiled, though it was really a kind grimace. 

I had been moved to a new, darker room, lying on the illuminated table. I felt...clean. Very clean. My legs weren't stinging anymore, and they were incredibly smooth. My face felt lighter and free of dirt and grime. I smelt better too. 

The door opened, and I sat up, finding a man walking in. He was different to the other Capitol people I had seen. He dressed more simply and had chosen to highlight his looks with only a small amount of makeup. I liked the golden accents on him, from the single stroke eyeliner to his cuff earrings. 

"That was one of the bravest things I've ever seen. With your sister?" he started the second he saw me. He took my hand in his, and I found myself strangely comforted by the feeling. "My name's Cinna."

"Y/N," I introduced. 

"I'm sorry that this happened to you, and I'm here to help you in any way that I can," he told me, and I softly smiled. 

"Most people just congratulate me."

"Well, I don't see the point in that." He sighed, patting my hand. "So tonight, they have the Tribute Parade. Gonna take you out and show you off to the world."

"So, you're here to make me look pretty?" I asked.

"I'm here to help you make an impression," he corrected. "Now, usually they dress people in the clothes from their district."

"Yeah, we're always coalminers," I recalled. 

"Yeah, but I don't wanna do that. I wanna do something that they're gonna remember. Did they explain about trying to get sponsors?"

"Yeah, but I'm not very good at making friends."

"We'll see." Cinna brushed my hair to the side, letting it fall down my back as he sat directly in front of me. "I just think somebody that brave shouldn't be dressed up in some stupid costume, now should they?"

A slow grin tugged at my lips. "I hope not."