chapter 𝐭𝐰𝐨.

ᵗʳⁱᵇᵘᵗᵉ

‧₊˚🏹✩ ₊˚⊹

[ anything for a sister ]

𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐚𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧, Not her. Not my pure and sweet little sister. 

"Where are you, dear?" Effie questioned. "Come on up." The girls around Prim parted, staring at her with sympathy. "Well, come on up!" 

Slowly, her feet moved her across the gravel, and she subconsciously tucked in the back fabric, not wanting to look as if she had a duck tail in front of everyone.

Suddenly, I stepped forward, shrugging past the other girls my age. I reached the middle aisle just as she did, and I called for her, "Prim! Prim!" She immediately spun around at my voice, and I continued to walk, but two Peacekeepers held me back. "No! No!" The next words left my mouth in a scream, "I volunteer! I volunteer!" I shoved the guards away from me, nearly spitting on their pristine white uniforms before standing my ground. "I volunteer as Tribute!"

Effie watched, before stuttering, "Uh- I believe we have a volunteer, Mr. Mayor."

I ran to Prim, wrapping my arms around her and dropping down in front of her. "Prim, you need to get out of here. You need to get out of here."

"No," she denied. 

"Go find Mum!"

"No!"

"Prim, go find Mum right now," I ordered, my voice cracking. "I'm so sorry."

"No! No!" Prim cried. 

"Go find Mum. Prim, leave! Go find Mum!" I shut my eyes in relief when Gale appeared, pulling her away from me. 

Tears pooled at my eyelids from her terrified screams, "No! No! No! Y/N, come back!"

"A dramatic turn of events here in District 12," Effie said, a cheery tone to her voice. There hadn't been any drama in 12 since, well, ever. Another pair of Peacekeepers escorted me to the stage as I stared at the ground. "Yes, well. District 12's very first volunteer. Bring her up."
I paused at the steps, but continued, holding onto the cold metal railing. She beckoned me forth with her chrome-painted fingers, "Come on, dear." Effie took me by my shoulders, stopping me beside the mic. "What's your name?"

"Y/N Everdeen," I said quietly. 

"Well, I bet my hat that was your sister, wasn't it?"

She tilted the mic to me again with a charismatic grin, and I answered in the same voice, "Yes."

"Let's have a big hand for our very first volunteer, Y/N Everdeen." She clapped lightly, and instead of an applause, I watched as the crowd raised kissed their fingers, before raising them in a three-finger salute.

" She clapped lightly, and instead of an applause, I watched as the crowd raised kissed their fingers, before raising them in a three-finger salute