When it comes to cooking that's exactly how my mom was.

She lifted a forkful of pasta to her mouth and ate it. Her face neutral, clear of any emotions.

I waited with anticipation for her review. "Well?"

She nodded her head. She approved. "I definitely taught you well." She forward the compliment towards herself and I just had to chuckle. "Someone else is a fan also." She gestures towards Sam who was literally inhaling his food.

"Slow down, Sam. You're gonna choke if you keep going at that pace." I warned him, but he ignored it and scarfed down a breadstick. Once he was done he reached over to my side of the table and grabbed his tablet.

"Thanks for dinner!" He exclaimed hopping off the chair and bolting up the stairs. I couldn't never get that thing away from him.

That's all he wanted.

My mom shook her head as she let out a laugh. "Maybe I shouldn't have gotten him that thing for his birthday."

"You think? He's obsessed." I ate a forkful of pasta. I definitely out done myself. I mentally gave myself a pat on the back.

"Don't tell him, but I hid his charger." My mom whispered and I almost choked on my water.

"No you did not." I said with surprise filling my features.

She nodded happily. "I can't wait to see his little face when he can't find it."

I laughed. He'll definitely try to raise hell that's for sure.

We continued our dinner talking about our day and cracking jokes. I truly enjoyed spending time with my mom. Although, she works long hours and I'm barely home for certain reasons it was always great to finally come together. Even if it was just for a meal.

"I'll be working a bit later tomorrow. So make sure Sam had dinner and gets to bed early for school." She told me before taking another bite of pasta.

I nodded let her know I understand as we fell into a comfortable silence. Now was a better time than any.

"Mom, do you ever miss dad?" I asked her as I allow my fingers to roll the napkin in front of me. The words slipped through my lips with such ease.

She froze for a brief second as she was caught off guard by my question. She place her fork back onto her plate.

"I do miss your father. I think about him everyday." My mom's eyes started to fill with sadness and a hint of hurt.

I hated opening up with old wound. I knew she was starting to heal and the fact that I ripped it open again caused my heart to ache. I never want to hurt her.

"You don't talk much about him anymore." I told her as I rested my back against the chair. That was true. It was almost as if his memory was fading away from us all. The only thing keep him present in this house were the few family pictures scattered around.

She let out a sigh. "I know and that's my fault. It's just we're finally getting to a good place and I didn't want to bring up old emotions."