4

This isn't supposed to happen.

None of it is. I am a good person, I was for as long as I remember. Maybe I played around as a toddler and made everyday life a little harder for my parents. After my parents passed away, I caused some trouble as a teenager, but it was nothing my brother couldn't fix with some sorry words and promises that I will behave better. Other than that, I was good.

I was never mean to anyone at school. I protected all ranks of my pack and decided to dedicate myself to that cause. I was never too hard on anyone, not even on the lazy sloppy new trainees. I even was a persistent volunteer in a lot of the chores around the pack house, even the hardest ones like helping the pups with their homework.

I loved doing all that, I enjoyed being nice and offering help. Being respected. 

Then why am I mated to a beast, even worse Deimos Vels himself?

A little rumble pulled me back to the task at hand. Dusky eyes slowly opened frowning at me, relaxed as if I wasn't holding a weapon against them. The image on the black mirror was someone I hardly recognized. My own eyes stared right back at me, the steel in my hand reflecting.

It was my last chance, I only had a few breaths time to either shove the blade in him or cower back.

And I chose not to be like him. The human in me won, while the wolf didn't even put up a fight.

I stepped back, the knife still held up ready to stab. For the second time in my life, I surrendered to death, but this time, I wasn't losing without a fight.

He made no sound as he crept down the bed, his fury head lowered to his knees. He growled, revealing a set of canines, sharper than the knife in my hand.

I didn't have time to shift so I could defend myself better, but the knife was an advantage.

I waited for him to pounce, and maybe he did the same. Salvia run down his lip; his eyes changed from the dark mirror to the eyes of a feral predator.

His ears curled, and his head suddenly twitched to the side as if boiling water was thrown at him.

He yapped in a low pain howl; I've seen this before. I've seen Alpha Luke struggle to keep his angry wolf at bay, I was a teenager back then and he was in his first weeks being alpha, I don't remember the incident well, but I remember the scene of a powerful wolf being restrained by his mind. It was both painful and freighting to watch same as it is now.

One only thought was in my head as I watched Deimos forcing the wolf into his human form: He doesn't want to hurt me, maybe he did have some humanity left in his corrupted soul.

The human was standing before me. I felt my cheeks and ears burning as I fought my thirst to marvel down at his nakedness.

The heat of his close skin and his hot breaths were making it even harder to ignore his beauty. His heart was still pounding in my ears when he leaned his lips to my face.

"Do it," he whispered. It was an order; a challenge he was hoping I'd take. "Kill it."

The wolf in me awakened for the challenge, but the bond was stronger. The warmth was turning into fire and it would burn me alive if I hurt him.

My hand trembled, I already had the steel against his chest. I dropped it, surprised by my unaware action. It echoed as it landed on the wooden ground.

I couldn't tear my eyes from his, I was inhaling his same breaths, my tottering chest almost touching his naked one.

He shoved me out, then slammed the door shut before I could turn around to face him.

My unsteady thoughts made my head hurt; I had the perfect chance to kill him, but I was too much of a coward to take it.