"Wow, really mom?! We haven't seen each other in four years and this is the only thing you have to say to me?" Heather shook her head in disgust.

"Heather, please, you haven't answered or returned any of my calls or texts," Heather's mom, Elaine, took a step closer to her and reached her arm out, as if to pull Heather into a hug. Heather quickly took a step back.

"I miss my Heather feather," Elaine spoke in a soft voice.

"Don't call me that," Heather firmly retorted. She turned her head away.

"I've been so worried about you, especially after that...article."

"Oh, so this is what this is all about?" Heather snapped. "You're just here to make fun of me."

"No! That's not true, I - I just want my daughter back," Elaine cried. Her voice shook with desperation and sorrow.

"Well you lost her when you kicked her out four years ago," Heather spat. She felt angry tears swelling up. Great. Stupid tears! She aggressively wiped her eyes with her hand.

"I know I've been a terrible mother, but -"

"Well that's definitely something we can both agree on!"

"Heather, please, will you give me another chance to make it up to you?" Elaine desperately held onto Heather's wrists.

Heather let go of her mother's grip. "What do you want? Money? Because you won't be getting a cent from me."

"No of course not! I- I want to apologize. I want us to start over!" Elaine exclaimed.

"Well you should've thought about that when you treated me like shit all those years and kicked me out!"

"Heather, you know the divorce with your father took a large toll on my mental health," Elaine sobbed, as tears trickled down her cheeks. "I shouldn't have let it all out on you."

"That doesn't explain why you treated me differently from my siblings!" Heather yelled. "And oh my god, why are we even having this conversation?!" She stormed over to her door and peered outside. "SIERRA?!"

"You were young, beautiful and confident, Heather!" Elaine exclaimed. "And I was insecure. I was the middle aged woman whose husband had left her!"

"Well, you sure had no trouble remarrying!" Heather yelled. "And what are you even saying - that you were jealous of an eight year old and your own daughter? Wow, do you even hear yourself? You're so full of yourself! We're done here. Leave, or I'm calling security now."

Elaine wiped her face with her trembling hands. She sniffed and grabbed her handbag, before walking out of Heather's office.

Heather angrily slammed her door shut and sat on the floor. And then the tears all came pouring out again; an uncontrollable flow, resembling all those years of anger, loneliness, resentment, disappointment and sadness.

She felt so alone and isolated.

***

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for coming tonight to Illuminate's launch party for our newest jewellery collection, The Red Velvet! My name is Cody and I'll be your MC for this evening!" Cody smiled as he held the microphone.

"Woo! Go Codykins!" Sierra squealed in the audience.

"Some quick housekeeping before we kick off. Firstly, we would appreciate if all phones are switched off or kept on silent. Bathrooms are to the right of the hall," Cody motioned towards the restrooms.

"And finally, we have plenty of food and drink on the tables near the front and back, so please feel free to help yourself at any time! Now, we will shortly commence with an opening address from Illuminate's founder, and then dedicate some time for Q&A afterwards. We're also excited to announce that we've planned a lucky draw for one winner; each purchase you make tonight earns you another entry to win a very special and exciting prize!"