chapter 𝐭𝐰𝐨.

Start from the beginning

"And now for the boys," Effie continued. She repeated the actions from before, instead taking a paper from the bowl for the male tributes. Returning to the mic, she read out, "Peeta Mellark."

I watched as the boys in the 16-year old's group parted, revealing a boy. He was tanned, with dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes. But the horrified expression is what made me continue to watch him as he walked to the stage. 

Never show them your emotions, I scolded in my head.

Effie reciprocated the same actions, taking Peeta by the shoulders and dragging him on the other side of her. "Here we are! Our Tributes from District 12!" She placed a hand on either one of our arms. "Well, go on you two, shake hands." I turned my head upwards to him, seeing as he was slightly taller. And that's when I remembered him. The boy from the bakery. I shook his hand, and he was stiff in returning the action. "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."

I looked out the window of the room I was dragged into, waiting for my family to visit. The opening of the door caused me to turn, the Peacekeeper muttering, "You have three minutes."

I saw Prim's face, tear-stained and red from crying, and our mother behind her. Prim ran forward, and I hugged her close, whispering, "It's okay. Shh, Prim. Prim, it's okay. Shh. Prim, I don't have much time." I bent down to her eyelevel, rubbing her freezing arms. "Prim, listen. You're gonna be okay. Don't take any extra food from them. It isn't worth putting your name in more times, okay?" Her breathing was coming out shaky, so I stroked under her eye, wiping the tear. "Listen, Prim. Gale will bring you game. You can sell cheese from your goat."

"Just try to win. Maybe you can," she choked. 

"Of course," I nodded. "And maybe I can. I am smart, you know?"

"And you can hunt," she added. 

"Exactly."

She looked down, sniffing softly. I followed her gaze, finding her spinning Mockingjay pin in her fingers. "To protect you."

I took it, clutching it tightly. "Thank you." I pulled her close, placing a kiss on her forehead, letting her head drop onto my shoulder. I looked over at mum, slowly standing up. "You can't tune out again," I started. 

"I won't," she whispered. 

"No, you can't," I corrected sharply. "Not like when dad died. I won't be there anymore. You're all she has. No matter what you feel, you have to be there for her. Do you understand?" She bit her tongue, and I saw the tears forming. "Don't cry." I looked at her, before embracing her. "Don't cry. Don't. Don't."

The door opened, and the Peacekeeper quickly shuffled inside. "It's time."

Prim ran to me, clinging to my waist. "Prim, it's okay. It's okay, Prim."

"No! No!" she screamed, but the Peacekeeper was too strong, pulling her away from me. 

"Prim, it's okay," I said, but my resolve was cracking, as was my voice. "I promise, Prim-." The door shut, cutting me off. I reached out, and twisted the doorknob, surprised that it wasn't locked. Just as I closed it, it opened again, and I stumbled back with a gasp when it was Gale. I latched onto him, stuffing my face into his chest as he rested his chin on my shoulder. "I'm fine."

"Yeah, I know," he mumbled.

"I am."

"Listen to me." He broke away, leaning down close. "You're stronger than they are. You are. Get to a bow."