Chapter 13: The Game

Start from the beginning

Tyir looked quite smug and said, "Why don't you go first?"

Donovan smiled as one of the ruby pieces moved on the board by itself. A bit of magic flickered around his piece.

Killian leaned over and whispered in Oriana's ear, "I cannot wait to see that mage lose. He needs to be knocked down a peg or two." 

A small smile came to Killian's face as the game got started. Oriana's expression was neutral while Killian whispered his gleeful wishes to her. The two men moved pieces along the black and red checkered board fluidly while the air around them felt thick. Everyone remained silent while the two played, so they could concentrate.

About fifteen minutes into the game, Tyir began to sweat. Donovan kept a confident look on his face. After another five minutes, the prince's pieces began to fall from the board at a rapid pace. Tyir's face went from worry to confusion, then disbelief. The mage had more than an upper hand; he was pushing the prince into a corner. It had Tyir fidgeting in his chair and shaking his head while he looked at the board, trying his best to come up with a plan. 

"Damn the gods..." Killian muttered under his breath. By now, it was clear that Donovan was going to win the game. It almost seemed like Tyir's face was red with rage as he watched his last big pieces being taken.

"Well, well, well.... it appears that my orc brain is quite sharp, eh? I wonder what kind of brain you have," Donovan said, taunting the prince.

"Quiet! I am trying to think!" Tyir replied, his voice filled with frustration and angst. Getting up from her chair, Oriana would come over to the two of them.

"There's no shame in losing," she said softly. It wasn't as if it was a battle of strength, it was one of intelligence. It was about strategy and planning, along with anticipating the opponents' moves. She knew how to play it as well; Killian had taught her.

Tyir looked up at her with worried eyes. "It's not that, my princess. My honor is at stake... I am fighting for you right now. It would be unforgivable for me to lose." Tyir replied with sorrow in his voice. Oriana would gently pat Tyir's shoulder.

"The only one who sees it that way is you," Oriana said gently. She didn't need him to fight for her.

Her words shocked Tyir. "Do you not wish for me to fight for your love?" He asked, confused.

Oriana bit her lip, unsure how to reply to such a comment without hurting him. Even Celsy and Killian looked at her with a bit of shock, waiting to see how she would reply. Her silence said enough, however.

"Checkmate. Your dragon king has fallen," Donovan said, reaching over the table and flicking down the black, serpent-like dragon on his side of the board. Oriana was grateful to Donovan as he had once again saved her from an uncomfortable situation.

As Tyir turned his head back, the man's mouth was wide open as he looked at the board and then up at Donovan. In complete disbelief as to what had just happened. He was struggling to figure out 'how' he had lost. Donovan had spent the entire game taunting and mocking Tyir. Flicking his dragon over was more than satisfying for the mage. 

"Try not to run back to Winter Haven crying to Daddy about losing. Then again, maybe you will cry about the little scratch on your face?" Donovan replied to Tyir.

Tyir, however, just gritted his teeth at the mage. "You are an arrogant, disrespectful man who is way over his head," Tyir grumbled.

Oriana didn't want to hear them squabble any longer. So, she moved to Donovan. When Oriana went in for the kiss, Tyir's expression changed. He could feel his heart sinking. Donovan just looked at him with a cocky smirk as Oriana's lips pecked his cheek. It was a quick peck. "Thank you, princess!"