23. Tere Bina Jiya Jaye Na

Tuesday
The MCA stadium was bustling with crowd and chaos.
Today was a special match for Meera as her Mom Dad were in the stadium.
Like any daughter would, she had asked the management to give them seats in the VIP box.
Dev overheard Dhanashree and Meera talking about her parents being there for the game.

He had to play his best today.
For his his potential saas sasur and also to unfortunately prove his might over Rohit's.
Before the match, Rohit and a girl named Maya had come to meet Meera.
Meera and Maya seemed to be good friends.

Dev and Meera had an eye contact 2-3 times but looked away.
"Are you okay Mee? You seem tensed."
"Nah its nothing, I didn't sleep well last night isiliye sir dard kar raha hai".
"Maya has a paracetamol, le le"
"Are maine already crocin le li. I'm fine now" She assured them.
Dev hated himself for hurting her like that.

"Also Rohit, Aai Baba are in the stands, tum dono ke liye bhi udhar hi seats rakhe hai".
"Woahhh I'll meet them after 5 long years!!! I still remember us eating Aamras made by Kaku after our Physics class in the scorching heat."
Oh so, Aamras was a memory for him too.

Dev scored an amazing knock of 84 runs off 50 balls and RCB won the match against Punjab Kings.
"Congratulations Dev" Meera approached Dev as everyone in the team was handshaking.
The moment their hands touched each other, Dev wanted to hug the life out of her.
Their hands remained in that position for a while until Mihir cleared his throat and they withdrew.
"Thankyou" he replied.

Meera's parents entered the dressing room and before greeting her they went towards Dev.
"Dev!! What an innings! Fine one"
"Thank you Uncle!! How are you?"
"As fresh as a flower" Meera's Dad replied and all three of them laughed.
"There comes my Manu" her Mom said as Meera approached them.
"Aai Baba, how was the experience?!" She asked eagerly.
"Mast hota ga! (It was amazing)I liked that icecream they served."
"Baba, sugar control?" Meera asked pointedly.
"Chalta ga kadhi kadhi." (It's fine sometimes).

"I met Maya. She's an appropriate match for Rohit." Meera's Mom said.
"Yes I know she's such a good person"
Realization dawned upon Dev.
Maya is Rohit's girlfriend and they were getting engaged soon.
How could he be so imbecile!!!

"Yeah they're getting married next year"
She looked at Dev while she told her parents about Rohit and Maya's wedding.
Dev held his ears as an apology gesture but Meera ignored it.
He tried to talk to her numerous times but she wasn't going to forgive him so easily.
She was sure she couldn't stay mad at him forever but she was going to stretch this definitely.

Wednesday
"Virat Bhai, how do I make her forgive me?" Dev asked running alongside Virat.
"Pehle to aisa kaam karna hi nahi ki maafi mangni padegi" Virat taunted him.
"Yaar Bhai please" Dev requested Virat.
"Achha chal tujhe kuch tips deta hu"
"First thing, Aurat ka gussa is more dangerous than a 440 Volt current, so you've to have infinite patience"
"Aisa kuch tactic use kar ki she will have to forgive you. Jaise ki uska favorite khana,ya favorite movie, favorite gaana aise kuch things ki madat le. Give her the puppy eyes."
"Ha ha got the idea. Thank you Bhai."
"Thankyou ke bachhe, fir use rulaya na to dekh, chal bhag." Virat chuckled as Dev ran away.

Meera was walking on the practice ground, talking to Siddharth about the new exercises she had given to the team.
She was unaware about the kitbag in front of her and she stumbled and tripped.
Meera started crying like a kid feeling the stinging sensation.
Blood was flowing through the wound and all the team members had gathered by now.
Dev pushed through the crowd and knelt beside Meera.
"It's stinging!!" She wailed.
Dev picked her up in his arms in a swift move and carried her to the dressing room.

She was wincing in pain while he applied antiseptic over the wound.
"Halu, please ( gently,please)." Meera said while holding his shoulder tightly.
"Chhoti bachhi ho kya?!" Dev joked.
"Shut up!" She screamed.
"Achha,okay okay, stay steady".
He dressed the wound and lightly placed her leg on the ground.
2 minutes later, realization hit her.
"Wait, why am I even talking to you?" She questioned him.
"Maybe because I'm irresistible" Dev said with a smirk.
"Just get lost! I dont want to talk to you!"
"Sachhi?" Dev asked dramatically.
"Yeah sachhi" Meera said as she narrowed her eyes at him.
"Okay bye" Dev walked off.

He really walked away without apologizing? How dare he.

After dinner, Meera went to her room.
She switched on the lights to find a steel box on her table.
She opened it and found a note kept in it. There were Besan laddoos inside the box.
She tasted it and immediately knew that it was made by her Aai.

She opened the note.
Dearest Meera,
I'm very sorry for what I've done to you. It pains me alot to know that you cried due to me. You would've never expected me to behave this irrationally. I am silly and possessive when it comes to people that are important to me. You're very precious to me and I admit I got blinded by rage.
Will you please forgive me?
*puppy eyes*
D.

She couldn't help but smile at the cute message he had written for her.

While opening the curtains, she heard the door close. Meera looked behind to find Dev standing there.
"Tum yaha kaise?"
"Mein yaha chhupa tha"
"Dev!!! Agar suffocation se faint ho jaate to!?" She expressed her concern.

Dev came close to Meera and hugged her as if his life depended on her.
Meera too circled her arms around his neck.
"I'm so sorry Meera! Its just that I feel safe in pouring my heart out to you. I've never had anyone to talk to since I was a kid. I've always been the shy, reserved one."
"Emotional intimacy is what I've always desired. What we have is very pure and valuable to me". Meera could sense the genuineness in his voice.
"I know Dev. I'm sorry for ignoring you.I didn't do it intentionally I swear."

"So do you forgive me Miss. Meera Joshi?" Dev asked playfully.
"How can I stay mad at you after such a sweet message and those puppy eyes? You're forgiven, Mr. Devdutt Padikkal" She said, flashing her white teeth.
"Waise, how did you get these laddoos? They're my Aai ke haath ke Besanache Ladu". Meera asked Dev as they sat on her bed.

Flashback.
Dev dialled a number and waited for the person to pick up.
"Hello Kaku, mein Devdutt baat kar raha hoon."
"Bol Bala, how're you?" Meera's Mom answered.
"I'm good Kaku, aapse kuch kaam tha actually so phone kiya."
"Ha bolo na."
"Woh actually mera aur Meera ka chhota sa jhagda ho gaya aur woh rooth gayi hai, baat nahi kar rahi hai mujhse." Dev explained the scenario to Meera's Mom.
"Are Deva, kya tum bachhe aisa karte ho" Her Mom laughed from the other side.
"Ha to use manane ke liye,I need your help".
"She had told me ki she loves your haath ke Besan laddoo" Dev said.
"Ho Ho, its her favorite."
"Haan, toh kya aap shaam tak kuch laddoo bhej sakti hai hotel mein?"
"Yes bhejti hoon mein" Meera's Mom agreed immediately.
"Thankyou Kaku!"

"Aww Dev you're the sweetest!" Meera pinched Dev's cheeks.
"Tell me something I don't know" he said smirking.
"Have one laddoo" Meera said offering him a laddoo.
He gladly took it.
"Kisi din tum mere ghar aana Bangalore mein. Amma makes the best Malabar Parotta with Chicken curry. You'll love it!" He enthusiastically said.
"You're Malyali na?" Meera asked him.
"Yes, I was born in Kerala but then we shifted to Bangalore for my cricket and so you can call me a Kannadiga also."
"So you speak Malayali or Kannada at home?"
"Malayali"
"Cool"
"Bangalore is such a happening city! IT hubs,clubs..ekdum metropolitan"
"Amcha Pune pan kahi kami nahi ha. Best city in India" (Pune is nothing less)
"Ho te tar ahe" Dev agreed.

_________________________________________

I couldn't keep them mad at each other for long.
Isn't Dev the sweetest?? He's all every girl needs.

Also, tere bina jiya jaye na is one of my favorite old songs. Lata Didi will remain in our memories forever💕