Chapter 1: Breakfast

Začať od začiatku

"Come on Tommy. Let's go to breakfast. Hopefully at this rate dad will only be a little upset at you."

~

Tommy and Wilbur both walk into the massive dining room. Tommy stands in awe of it, his mouth agape.

I haven't seen this place in years... Tommy couldn't bite back a smile. It's bigger than I remember.

Wilbur puts a hand on Tommy's shoulder. "Take a seat closest to us."

Tommy nodded quietly. He looked at the table again. It could fit 100 people.

Tommy holds his breath as he walks to where Phil and Techno sit.

Techno notices Tommy and lazily uses his thumb to point out the seat next to him. Tommy lets out a big sigh.

Tommy then walks around the entire table to get to the other side where Techno sits. He settles himself in the seat directly next to the oldest prince.

Tommy can feel Techno staring at him. He clenches onto the chair as he looks over to Techno, who had a frustrated gaze fixed upon Tommy.

Tommy opens his mouth to say something when Phil beats him to it.

"Wilbur," Phil begins. "Why'd you two take so long?"

Wilbur sits next to Phil and closes his eyes. "Tommy wasn't dressed, so I had to do his hair and everything."

Tommy looks away angrily. He doesn't try to say anything. He knows better. Yet it didn't stop the rush of annoyance that was delivered with that sentence.

Phil turns his head to Tommy. "Why didn't you dress earlier? That's mighty rude."

Tommy almost flinches. He then sighs, "I- well... if I were given a bit more of a notice then I—"

Techno shakes his head. "Doesn't give you the excuse to be lazy."

Tommy clenched the chair so hard he swore it was about to snap. "I'm forced in my room all day anyways."

...

The room got so silent someone could hear a pin thud against the floor. All the servants have left. Tommy was trapped in here with them.

Tommy shut his eyes. He resisted the urge to hold his breath.

His eyes felt as if they were ripped open when he heard the loud thud of Philza slamming his hands down on the table.

Tommy looked at him with wide eyes.

"Are you saying..." Phil began, glaring daggers at the young Prince. "Everything that we've done for you was not selfless? You're nothing without us."

Tommy sat in silence, staring at the table. "Why did you grant me to eat with you all here?" He quickly changed the subject.

Phil's glare didn't go away, but he sat back down. "As you know, your 13th birthday is in about a week, thus, your ceremony. I'm sure you're enthusiastic about receiving your exclusive royal powers."

"Ah, yes." Tommy stared off into the distance. Before looking back to Phil. "Is there something to discuss about it?"

Phil, Techno, and Wilbur all looked at each other. In sync, they all looked down to their food.

Techno spoke this time. "Well, think of this more of a celebration to you finally getting your powers."

Tommy found himself smiling. "I wish mom were here to see this."

That's when he felt a chill sprawl down his spine, leaving an ugly after taste.

Tommy looked up to see that they weren't looking at him—they were all looking off into space—but their facial expressions were weird. Tommy couldn't make out what they were thinking. It had to be some level of a poker face.

Wilbur leaned his elbows onto the table, and said one word. "Unfortunate."

Tommy mentally cursed for creating such an awkward situation. They must still be touchy on the subject even though it was 10 years ago...

Tommy then thought quickly to change the subject. "I had a strange dream last night."

Wilbur picked at his food, "What did you dream?"

"I was holding hands with a servant... and you killed her for that. I was then punished by Phil for some bullshit reason—but I barely remember anything after that from the dream..."

Tommy watched as Wilbur dropped his fork, having it land with a loud clang. Silence came after that.

"You dreamt of what?" Techno asked. It was weird though. His tone sounded mighty irritated.

Tommy heard Phil sigh. "Tommy? What have we said about cursing?!"

Tommy flinched, "S-sorry..." he said slowly.

"Can you further explain what you saw in that dream again?" Wilbur asked.

"I'm not sure I—" Tommy felt as if a force cut him off. In the corner of his eye, he saw Phil's eyes glowing.

He then made full eye contact with his father. He felt as if energy or memories or something was being drained from him.

"Tommy?" Wilbur called out, "Can you explain what happened in your dream?"

...

Dream? When were we talking about 'my' dream? I don't even remember having one.

"Wilbur...? I'm not sure what you're referring to." Tommy blinks with confusion.

Tommy almost missed the slight smirk on Wilbur's face.

"Nothing," he said. "I must've been mistaken."

Tommy squinted his eyes at Wilbur. He's acting... weird...

Little did Tommy realize that he just forgot one of the most important pieces to the puzzle. They had the upperhand. They always have the upperhand.

Tommy just doesn't know it yet.

Word Count: 1425