Chapter Eighteen

Yay, another chapter!! :D

It's great to see some new faces reviewing my chapters! Welcome and I hope you enjoy and continue to review my stories! If you have any questions, feel free to message me!

Thank you so much to those of you who have been reading this, whether you started at the beginning of this year or yesterday! You all mean a lot :3

I woke up to my skin burning and itching along my left arm. I grimaced and looked down to see that it was bright red. I could practically see the steam rising from it.

Letting out a soft moan, I rolled away from my arm, wishing I could leave it behind and yet it kept on following me.

I must have fallen asleep again because the next thing I remember is Walter standing over me, a worried look on his face, and Acorn hovering behind him.

"What?" I grouched, trying to sit up. Walter put a hand on my shoulder and pushed me back down.

"You're sick," he murmured, putting a hand on my forehead and feeling for heat.

"I am not!" I snapped, knowing I could barely move my left arm. It hurt too much and it felt like it was broken although I knew it couldn't be. Acorn's face appeared right next to Walter's.

He frowned as he studied my face before looking at Walter, "Are you sure this is the illness you were talking about?"

Walter nodded and looked back at me, "It's called the King's Illness. They're trying to..."

"Fuck with us," I finished for him.

Walter looked flustered but nodded, "Yeah, they're doing that."

I looked over at Acorn, knowing this was aimed at him. Someone, other than my own King, didn't want him to rise to power. What was so great about him that made all these people do such crazy things just to stop him?

"We're going," he murmured to Walter. "He might not last long and I won't risk leaving him here."

"Huh?" I gaped up at Acorn. "Is the 'he' in reference to me? I am right here you know!"

Acorn looked down at me through his crystal clear green eyes, "We're going on a little adventure. Hopefully it will end better than the one you chose to go on yesterday."

"Oh sure! Rub salt in my wounds!" Walter allowed me to sit up. "What a great monarch."

The Prince smirked for a moment before looking serious again, "Do you know the King's Illness?" I shook my head and he continued talking. "The King's Illness takes the form of fever, aching, and then internal bleeding. Of course, the internal bleeding usually means you only have a few hours left to live. There's one cure and... this is going to sound so silly, but the cure comes from the belly of a bird. A specific bird called the Gorzac. They live up near the mountain range, about a day's ride from here."

When he trailed off Walter took up the end of the sentence, "Up there, they eat a certain type of fruit which is poisonous to humans. However, once it's neutralised by the stomach acids of this particular bird, the fruit can cure any type of illness or poison. It's rare though, because the birds usually keep clear of us and even if we do catch one, it might not have eaten the fruit."

I let out a long breath and nodded, "Is this the only way?" When the two men nodded at me I shut my eyes. "That's okay," I whispered to them. "We should try to get this for the villagers, but if we can't get it, I want you to know it's okay."

Walter shook his head, "The villagers that are alive now aren't as damaged as you. They were able to shake off the poison. But you, with the direct contact... It's impossible."

"Stop being dramatic," Acorn murmured. "We'll find this bird easily and cure you, Incent."

I knew he was just being positive for my benefit, but I was relieved to hear him say it. He really was a smart man and if he actually believed he could do it, then it might make my future look a little brighter. That is, before I have to kill him. But let's find the bird first.

Slowly I found my way into a standing position after slapping away the helpful hands that immediately came to my aid when I stood. A wave of dizziness overcame me and I clutched at the sofa.

"If you're going to throw up," Walter murmured, "I'd prefer you didn't do it on the couch. Or the rug. Or really this room-"

"What Walter means," Acorn cut him off, "is that we hope you're feeling well enough to ride a horse. It will be a longer journey if I have to take you in a bucket."

I raised my brows and smirked, "A bucket? Really?" Then I frowned as I took in what he said. "You're not coming with me."

He chuckled, "You can't stop me. Walter has already agreed to sneak us out."

"That's going to get him in trouble," I pointed out before breaking away to cough loudly.

Walter rolled his eyes, "What will they do? Take away my dinner for a week? Anyway," he waved me off, "all I have to say is I'm confused about where baby Acorn is and they'll take me for a stupid old man."

I frowned, "I feel like you've done this before."

He shrugged, "Acorn's older brother was a real adventurer and I was always covering for him. He enjoyed the great outdoors, didn't he?" He looked at Acorn for verification.

Acorn nodded and offered a faint smile, "He was never inside. He was a bit like you, Incent. Whereas you go outside to find trouble, he went outside to learn."

"Now the intelligence insults," I grumbled to myself as I took a shaky step towards the door, letting go of the sofa. "I'm pretty sure I can ride a horse."

Acorn nodded, "Then we're off. We'll find this bird and, if it works, we'll bring some back for you Walter. I wish you could come with us."

Once again, Walter waved us off, "I'm too old. I've seen enough in this world. Seeing you cut open a dead bird is probably something I can live without."

We all shared a soft laugh before we were on our way. Acorn had brought my clothes (and my lovely leather pants!) so I was able to dress quickly and feel more like myself before we set off. Walter walked in front of us, checking the halls to make sure they were empty before we travelled through them. We made it to the stables and got on two horses. To my embarrassment Acorn had to help me up on mine.

Walter stood by Acorn's horse and ran his fingers through the mare's mane, "Be safe, young Prince."

Acorn nodded and smiled, "You too, friend."

The old man nodded at me before standing to the side to let the two of us pass. We quickly got our horses into a trot and left the castle through a small passage that couldn't be seen from either side due to the trees.

"And we're off," Acorn murmured.

Please leave a review! I love reading them! If you don't know what to write, answer my question: What colour do you think the bird will be?