Chapter Fifteen

I have to apologise that this was two days late!! My internet was down and I had no other way to put it online ;-; I finally got it up and running today though, so I thought the first thing I should do is to put this online!
Please, you can virtually punch me for this unfairness ;-;

"Are you serious Acorn?" the Queen hissed in annoyance at her son. "You've just let these... peasants into the castle? Without consulting me?"

Acorn and I stood there with some of the newly made pillows in our arms. I juggled mine awkwardly as I waited for the Queen to finish up her lecture.

"They need our help," he glared at her. "How are we meant to call ourselves monarchs if we won't even look after the people we rule?"

The Queen's eyes shot to me, "What do you think about all this?"

I jumped in surprise and glanced between them, wishing I wasn't caught in the middle, "I think, if you let them die, then you won't have anyone to rule over." I murmured, appealing to the side of her that demanded people notice and respect her.

Her eyes narrowed at me for a few uncomfortable moments before she broke into a false smile, "Well said, Incent. Everybody needs to have a place in this society. Why don't you go on and hand out the pillows."

Damn, I wish I could punch her. I gave her a stiff nod and walked away from them, into the makeshift sick room. I started handing out the softest bedding and pillows to the elderly and children. Little Tim perked up when he saw me coming.

I knelt down beside him as I put a pillow behind his head, "How are you feeling?"

He gave me a toothy smile, "A lot better." He looked up at the ceiling with all the gems, "It's the power of the crystals."

I let out a soft chuckle, knowing that none of these crystals had any power because they were purely for decoration, "You believe in that?"

He nodded eagerly, "Everyone knows about it. The crystals with the power to heal people. I've never seen them, but I know they're here." He gazed up again in wonder.

I watched him for a moment, intrigued by what he saw in the world. People around him had just died and he was admiring some gems on a wall. At that age I would've seen nothing but the death. I know I would have refused to look at anything glittery unless it was a sword.

But I knew that was changing. I wasn't learning how to read because I needed it to enact revenge, but because I wanted to become more educated and equal to those I was surrounded with. I enjoyed sitting in front of warm fires and feeling... safe.

However, I still itched to be outdoors, hunting things and making quips.

That did it.

I put down the makeshift bedding and walked straight up to the Queen and Prince, "I'm going on a hunting trip," I announced before walking away from them. I'm not a nurse, I didn't know how to raise children, and I am certainly not some sort of sexual pet for the Queen and her son to play with!

I quickly got outside before they sent guards after me, and then I went beyond, into the forests where we had met our first demon. Sure, I wasn't dressed for it, but I had my weapons and my brain. That was enough.

Soon I was immersed in the silence of nature. Well, as silent as it could be. Small birds hopped from tree to tree while tiny creatures rustled in the undergrowth, finding small beetles and worms to munch on.

Then everything went quiet.

The birds had stilled and the small creatures had gone deadly quiet. Here it is. A demon. I drew my sword and turned in a circle, trying to gage where it was and where it would come from.

A small twig cracked overhead and I looked in that direction. While I waited, a demon crept out from behind it.

I was shocked by how these demons acted. They seemed to be predatory to the point of being almost human.

When I tipped my head to the side to analyse him, he did the same. I frowned and he repeated the motion.

"Hello," its face split into a horrid grin. This demon was completely black and covered in scales. If it were night time, I would never be able to him. Unless the moon glinted along the scales and warned me. But even then, that's a long shot. His forked tongue slid out of his mouth and ran along his lips, wetting them.

"Hello?" I raised an eyebrow, waiting for what he had to say.

"I have a surprise for you," he whispered before darting off into the woods. I frowned and glanced around. Should I follow? It has to be a trap, doesn't it?

I took a deep breath and followed him. I could really only tell where he had been from shaking branches he had left as a sort of trail, as if he had been there seconds ago and I had just missed him. I kept an eye out as I walked, both in front of me and where I was standing in case I stood on a trap.

Finally I came to a clearing where a small hut stood. It seemed to be the type where a lone person would live and offer support to anyone who passed by, but this one was definitely abandoned. I looked around for more guidance but gained none, so I went to the front door and gave a small knock. Even if a demon was inside, I would still be polite!

No noise returned so I hesitantly swung open the door. A rancid smell hit me and I covered my nose in horror before I was shoved from behind and the door shut. A loud lock turned and I knew better than to try to open the door. I kept my back to it instead and tried to let my eyes settle in the darkness and gain some sort of sight into where I was.

It was a singular room with a huge tub of something steaming on the side. It was metal and it looked like maybe it had water boiling, judging by the fire underneath and the strange bubbles rising from it. I tried to look for anyone in the room and couldn't find anyone. Was I just meant to die in here or something?

"Come on," I sounded bored. "Is this the best you've got? You know the castle will send people looking for me right? I won't be starving anytime soon."

I heard a tiny cackle that came from inside the room and I raised my sword higher.

"You," the voice whispered, sounding close, "have been touched by one of us. Marked! Do you understand what that means?"

I sighed and rolled my eyes, "Oh yeah, I'm super special."

"You are," the voice giggled again. "To be marked by a devil... Within you, darkness lurks."

"Very original."

"Says the man who named his servant, Tattoo."

My skin crawled, "Where did you hear that?" I knew I hadn't said her name outside of the castle, so did that mean they were inside? I had to warn someone!

I brushed something sticky off my shoulder as I asked my question again, waiting for an answer, then asked, "Are you just going to ignore me now?"

What is this? I brushed the stickiness off my shoulder again. It felt disgusting and smelled even worse. I looked at my fingers and tried to see what liquid was on my shoulder. Was there a leak in the house? But, it wasn't raining outside.

It wasn't raining.

My skin grew hot and cold at the same time as fear lanced through me. Slowly, I looked up.

My eyes met with a scaly, grinning face. "Good night, handsome," he rasped before knocking me out with a taloned fist.

I know it's uncool to ask for reviews after not updating on time, but if you can I'd be super pleased <3 If you don't know what to write, just give me a virtual punch :D