𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

[ CHAPTER SEVEN: Controllable Puppet ]

2 WEEKS LATER...

"I'M REALLY WORRIED ABOUT YOU, Adrianna." Dahlia said, staring at her friend that sat on a red cushioned chair in the library. "Why? I'm fine." Adrianna shrugged, knowing damn well she had cried right before this meet up.

"You— you've been distant, and I know you are saving up and know most kids are stupid and can't write one essay but you can't keep helping them with that, you have your own problems and assignments that go on." Dahlia explained, a sympathetic face evident.

"No, I'm fine." Adrianna whispered, shaking her head. "You're not okay, Anna." Dahlia practically yelled, causing glances to be given from others. "I mean, shit, you're parents have been arguing every single day for 2 weeks."

"They'll work it out, they always do." Adrianna shrugged once again.

Truly, Adrianna was writing almost everyone's essays because she couldn't bare the sound of her parents arguing. They had been arguing for 2 weeks straight, Jacob and Adrianna had no clue what had happened before the start of the series of arguments.

Adrianna had been looking rough recently, her hair sort of tangled and frizzy, her clothes not as stylish and bright as they used to be, her face being filled with dark circles and eye bags that showed tiredness. She wasn't doing okay. She was left alone at home with her angry parents while her brother was lucky enough to have a car to leave.

He was really fucking lucky.

______

"Partners get together!" Mr. Ramirez directed before going back to his seat. Miguel looked back at Adrianna, she'd been distant, quiet. But she was always quiet.

He'd had a bickering in his own head on whether or not to go over and say hi. Finally, he got up from his seat, walking over with his supplies. "Adrianna." He started, "Miguel." She responded with the same serious tone. "Are you okay?" He asks suddenly, she looked towards him, nodding slowly, too slow, as if she was trying to convince herself that.

He sits next to her, observing her face and she looked down at the floor. "Uhm, so I've been doing good in my classes." Miguel started, Adrianna's face had seemed to brighten at the change of subject.

"Really?!" She exclaimed, Miguel smiled at the change of mood and nodded. "I've been getting B's." Miguel smiled to himself. "That's really good, I'm proud of you."

Those words made his heart skip a beat, Adrianna was proud of him. She had finally smiled. "Thank you." Miguel smiled even more.

_____

"Aye, Adrianna, you still doing the essay?" An older boy asked, "Oh— yeah." Adrianna nodded. "'Aight, I'll see you around." He said before walking off. A scowl sat on Dahlia's face as Adrianna bit her burger. "What now?" Adrianna sighed.

"Ann, that's what— your 5th customer today?" Dahlia questioned, "I know— but it's not that big of a deal." Adrianna spoke carelessly. "Adrianna, it's not not a big deal, it's a big fucking deal." Dahlia fumed.

"Well, gee Lia, I'm so sorry that you have such a perfect life at home but I don't, I can't go home to one quiet peaceful home, it's always shouting and screaming. I have nowhere to run to, nowhere to get transportation from and nowhere to run to." Adrianna snapped, slamming down her cup.

The two were getting angrier at each other by the second, certain people glancing back and forth between the two as they are their lunches. "Don't fucking say that shit, Anna." Dahlia shouted.

"You know damn well my life isn't perfect and you know damn well that I'm here for you, even when your own fucking brother isn't!" Dahlia yelled back. Adrianna's face dropped at the mention of her brother.

"I'm so fucking done with you, you can't bring up things that you know would hurt me. You know, for a fact, that my brother is the least of my worries in this situation, he doesn't give one shit about me so stop bringing him up I every single conversation we have." Adrianna fumed before walking off, running to the hallway and making her way to her locker.

Adrianna's face was hot, red even. Her heart pounding out of her ears, her breathing getting faster and faster as she walked quicker and quicker. Her chest felt like it would explode if she made one little sound. Her hands shaking as she put in the code for her locker.

Adrianna would never get this angry, especially at her closest thing to a sister, but she couldn't handle it. She couldn't handle that constant criticism, even though she knew that Dahlia had a point and a reason to worry.

Hell, Dahlia knew Adrianna more than she knew herself, she knew every little pet peeve, every little flaw, thought, or feeling that Adrianna had within her. She'd known her the longest of anyone throughout this entire school.

Adrianna looked through her locker for something that could distract her from this fuming, angry, anxious feeling. Dahlia and Adrianna have fought before, over small things though.

And even though they said the meanest shit, they still apologized and loved each other the most.

Dahlia knew Adrianna was hurting, and was vulnerable for any distraction from her parents, but she also knew that Adrianna needed to hear whatever Dahlia had to say about this side job.

Adrianna knew it wasn't good, she knew it could affect her mental health, her own grades, hell, even her future, but she didn't care. She was tired but even if she was exhausted from everything, she would still find more to tire herself out, all until she snapped and broke. She tired herself out until she bursted like a balloon.

That was the main flaw about Adrianna Reneé Levine, the constant crave for tiring herself out.

____

a/n: may or may have not cried writing this but it's okay!!! 😋