Chapter 11

Atsushi smiled softly at the sight of Kyouka, calmly conversing with everyone in the Agency in the maid outfit the others put on her. Atsushi was unsure on how the other people of the Detective Agency would react to her after Atsushi sent her here, but it seemed like they all like her.

(Atsushi only glanced at Kunikida, who ignored everyone and everything.)

It was a pleasant surprise with how Ranpo treated Kyouka as well, even sharing his snacks (more or less) with Kyouka. And then even the president appeared and allowed her to stay despite Kunikida's protests, bringing Atsushi her current pleasant mood.

"Seems like the other members are really fond of Kyouka-chan now that this whole situation's over. I was afraid they would avoid her or something similar," Atsushi commented with a small smile.

Fukuzawa, who also preferred to watch rather than join in the fun, glanced at Atsushi. "I see," then with a slightly louder voice, said, "So, did we pass your exam?"

Everyone paused at what they were doing to stare at the duo, confused (other than Dazai, who still hasn't returned), before Ranpo cried out in realization and pointed at Atsushi in accusation.

"Ah!! That's why you went with the Mafia so easily!! I was wondering why you did that when you could have easily dealt with those guys! Even Akutagawa!"

Everyone else, excluding Fukuzawa (who was more or less enjoying the show), glanced at Ranpo with wide eyes before looking back at Atsushi.

"...A test?" Kunikida asked, confused.

Atsushi nodded, expression turning slightly embarrassed with all the attention she was getting. "Um y-yes. Since you gave me an entrance exam when I was first hired, I thought I could give something similar...?"

"...Wait, so you purposely got captured?" Yosano asked, staring at Atsushi in disbelief.

Atsushi nodded with a nervous smile. "Like Ranpo-san said, I could have fought out of that situation if I wanted to while preventing civilian casualties. But, I had to 'test' you guys at the same time to see if you were willing to save me, who despite being a newcomer, is still part of the Agency as well. I wanted to see whether or not the Agency cares more about their jobs or their coworkers."

(Atsushi did not mention that she knew there was going to be an important job the same day she was kidnapped. After all, it wouldn't be much of a test if there was nothing else on the Agency's schedule the day she was kidnapped. She may or may not have consulted with Akutagawa about this as well.)

"And what would you have done if we didn't go and save you?" Kenji asked curiously.

"Ah, I would have left the Agency without a word. Maybe visit Kyouka-chan and ask if she wanted to join me for job-hunting again?" Was Atsushi's answer (and although Kyouka didn't show it, she was touched that Atsushi considered her as well).

"S-so did we pass...?" Tanizaki asked nervously, gulping.

Atsushi gave a wide smile. "Yep! You were able to save me before I crossed the border, so you passed!"

Fukuzawa decided to speak up, coughing into his hand to gain everyone's attention. "Although I was aware of this, even if I wasn't my sentiments still wouldn't change. In fact, this goes to show that we should place our utmost importance on our members when such a crisis occurs; we are comrades not just coworkers."

Atsushi beamed at Fukuzawa after his speech, causing the man to look away from the brightness. Luckily for Fukuzawa, Minoura appeared for a case (when questioned about Kyouka, Fukuzawa answered she was his granddaughter; Minoura easily believed it) so Atsushi was distracted.