Chapter 2: Buried in Mud

Começar do início

Lilah and Leah are playing in the living room with some notebooks about drawing while I walk past them, entering the kitchen and eating whatever was on that plate as I observe the outside world. It was calmer, less lighting over the sky which was like a Christmas tree last night.

The kettle was buzzing to my left as I glanced down at it, before taking it and sipping it in the mug, preparing the tea when Lilah walked in.

"That to calm your nerves?"

The water was flooding the mint tea bags as the honey dripped down from the spoon down into it. "To calm my fever."

She hums, suddenly standing beside me when she takes the rest of the boiled water, repeating the same actions with me. "If it doesn't help, I will blame you."

I laugh, glancing back at her, only now seeing her hair in the usual style. She noticed my furrowed brows and answered with raised one when I tilt my head to her hair. Her eyes are up for a moment, before the realization settles as she nods, taking a spoon of honey between her lips.

When the spoon clangs down in the sink, I am sitting on the stool and she is soon to follow. "I remember when I had my first white boyfriend. Mom told me I can only marry him if he learns to deal with my hair."

I smile, licking my lips before taking a slow sip of the tea. My mom is a British woman that spent most of her life in America, until she decided to return back home a couple of years ago after divorce and reopen the psychiatrist's office. I suppose my liking for the tea is genes coming from her.

I was always more similar to her than dad. Although Micheal is an orthodontist, Caitlin is a surgeon and mom's job is more related to theirs than mine. Dad is a commercial pilot, so far away from any of our branches, yet as successful as the rest of us.

"Does that mean you will marry my sister, considering that she knows how?"

The temperature on her face heightens at that, with a roll of her eyes and wave of hand used to cover it up, she mutters. "Let me drink this in peace."

I hum to cover the snicker as I place the mug down on the counter. "You should know, my sister would rather die than change her last name. If I were you, I would prepare myself to give up the name Turner."

I catch the plastic toy, belonging to Leah, which she throws at me with an annoyed scoff, only on the surface when she adds. "I almost forgot how egoistic your family is."

I twist my lips in a funny way as I shake my head. "We are a successful family."

"Yes, we are." my sister appears into the room in an unexplainable rush, searching the drawers for something while she continues. "And the extremely successful member of this family has been called to remove a brain tumor. Obviously the fucking disease can't wait for nice weather or an hour."

I can somewhat sympathize with her, because the criminals aren't much different from diseases. They don't seem to sleep, always ready to destroy things, like my sleep schedule.

I don't ask her what she was looking for when she leaves the drawer alone, slamming it back before walking around to Lilah. As soon as she cups her face and presses her lips on her, she is pulling back with a concerned expression. Her hand slid over her face, resting on her forehead. "You are burning up."