A Family of Orphans

Start from the beginning

Mr. Wright had known what they decided the moment they returned to the office. Even though all they did was walk back inside, talking about the case as usual, their boss was always one step ahead.

In fact, they hadn't realized how ahead of them he was until Trucy came back from school. "Hey, Truce." He looked up from his paper and smirked. "Why don't you ask Apollo what he did today?"

The young magician's hand practically smacked her in the jaw. "Polly! What did you do today?!"

"Oh, gosh." He leaned against his chair until his back popped. "Just me, huh? You don't wanna know what Athena did?"

"Athena! What did you do?!" Meanwhile, Mr. Wright was snickering to himself. He was hoping they'd reach the better decision before Trucy came home, and he was not disappointed with the in-progress result.

"Oh, no. I think you want to hear what Apollo did, first."

"Pollyy! What did you do?!"

"Well, let's just say I asked a certain someone out for lunch."

Athena smirked at him, leaning into her hand. "And let's say she said 'yes.' Hm?" She bounced a little in her seat, clasping a fist to her chest. "Apollo's a lone wolf no more!"

Trucy gasped. "Polly! You asked Athena out?!"

"I asked her to be my girlfriend."

"And the girlfriend said 'yes!' Que c'est beau!"

"Oh, my gosh! Polly! You're dating Athena!" Apollo couldn't even nod his head before Trucy had knocked him out of his chair with a hug. Athena got her with the same aggressive hug before Trucy could get her. "I just came home to change clothes, but now it's the best day ever! I can't wait to tell Pearl!"

"Ay! We're never going to hear the end of it from her!" Athena accented with a laugh.

C'est la vie! Commented Widget from his place around Athena's neck, grinning ever so brightly.

"Wow! I've never heard so much French out of Athena! You really got her good, Polly!"

"She's not a fish, Trucy."

"Still!" She tipped her hat. "And you've been so protective of her for so long! It's nice to know you've finally acted on your feelings!"

Normally, Apollo would get defensive whenever his obliviousness was brought up. But now, he just flashed a big grin and chuckled. "Thanks, Trucy. Means a lot coming from you. Say hi to Pearl for us, won't you?"

"Of course, Polly!"

With a few more laughs, he and Athena returned to their paperwork. With her by his side, he just felt stronger. The next month rushed past them, paperwork and objections flying by. Soon, he was getting more and more worried about her being alone in the WAA every night. An office building was never intended to be a residence, but Mr. Wright was unable to find her a place to stay. He wanted nothing more than her safety, and as soon as her psychopathy was revealed, she was in danger. There was nothing stopping an assassin from breaking into the office and slitting her throat.

It was clear as ever by mid-November.

Apollo intended to have Athena live with him.

He brought it up during their date on the eighteenth, that he worried for her safety. She agreed, she didn't feel safe as things were. He mentioned he had an extra bedroom in his apartment and would love for her to come live there, where she'd be warm and safe.

Athena froze for a few seconds, then tore apart into wailing sobs. "You... you're-.... really...?"

"Of course, Athena. I love you, and I want you to feel safe more than anything..." He offered out his arms in a hug, pulling her close when she leaned in. She was a sputtering mess, but she was his.

They told Mr. Wright she'd be moving out of the extra room, and he offered to help them the next morning. Athena didn't have too many belongings, but it still took the better half of the day. She slept on the couch until her bed had been set up, but felt undeserving of it once it was ready. This man had treated her with so much kindness, loved her so deeply even though she was always one step away from falling apart.

Living with Apollo helped. The routine they were forming together helped keep her grounded. She had fewer outbursts now, was able to think things through. She jumped the gun noticeably less, allowing Mr. Wright to make the calls. He was a safe place with the way he scratched the crook of her neck during upsetting nightly news, offered warm drinks as the snow fell without even a shiver from her, even that he wished her goodnight with a simple side hug and peck on the cheek. Those acts that secured her, they weren't openly protective acts turning a distrustful eye to everything else, but simple familial acts that'd been absent from her life for many years.

She was home, and in Apollo she had a family again.

Apollo was glad she was settling in so quickly. A part of him expected her to hide away and be very shy after switching homes, like Mikeko was.

Athena was uncertain for all of three hours. Mikeko seemed to not mind her either, except for right around dinner time when the calico came strolling out for food and Athena gasped and gleefully declared "Cat!"

He didn't need Athena's psychology to know that the exact thought on his cat's mind was "what the heck, lady?" However, once kitty learned Athena was a very, very good cat scratcher, he saw a singular thought through a threatening side look. "The lady stays."

His beloved companion wasn't already trying to oust him in favor of his girlfriend, right? Isn't there enough love in the kitty's black heart to share? "I told you Athena was coming to live with us. Be a good kitty."

"But he is being a good kitty, Apollo!" The male calico purred loudly under Athena's defense.

"Hey now, Athena, you already stole my heart. Don't steal my cat."

"Okay okay..." Mikeko hopped off and wandered with the intention of stealing blankets; Apollo pulled Athena in for a kiss. "Mm, you're smooth, Apollo."

"I have to be, otherwise you'll eat me alive, Tiger."

"Oh, haha. C'mere you."