Chapter 2: A Changed Fate for Two

Megatron was in the middle of reprimanding his second in command loud enough to reach Cybertron when the medbay doors swung open. Soundwave looked between Starscream and Megatron for a short moment before striding forward silently. Megatron let go of his underling's chassis, dropping the seeker back onto his cot unceremoniously as he turned to his third.

"What is it?"

There was a small beep from his internal hub and Megatron's optics dimmed as he focused on the transmission, which was a simple, small set of coordinates. Megatron looked back for an explanation and was met by the sound of his own voice.

::beacon-signal::

Starscream gathered the nerve to peek over Megatron shoulder and frown at Soundwave in distaste. "I don't suppose Soundwave could have found the Autobot base while he was at it?"

Soundwave only stared.

Megatron straightened. "Regardless of the source, the signal merits investigation. Starscream, you will accompany me."

Starscream balked and took a step back, his servos now gripping his messily welded wound as if it was still pouring energon, "But master! I'm barely healed!"

"And?"

"And wouldn't it be best to send vehicons so the Decepticons are not left without leadership? What if there is an attack or the ship breaks down? Surely this insignificant signal does not need both of us... alone."

"Soundwave was perfectly capable of leading the ship in our short absence," Megatron flashed his sharpened denta and grinned, "besides, I'm still deciding whether to terminate you or not. Your complaining is teeterinf dangerously close to oblivion."

Starscream, not knowing what to say to that, took another step back and lowered his wings fearfully. Megatron turned his attention to Soundwave and the third in command gave a curt nod before a groundbridge formed between them.

Megatron looked back at Starscream, "After you."

The two of them went through and emerged underneath a scorching sun that their optics took a moment to adjust to. A large sandstone fortress stood before them, it's doors seemly large enough for bots even bigger than Megatron.

Starscream gaped. "This... couldn't be the Autobot base, could it?"

Megatron ignored him, moving forward with a subtle frown, optics fixed on the ancient dialect carved into the walls. As he strode forward to get a better look, it became clear that the words had been eaten at by at least a few centuries of erosion.

"Starscream, contact Soundwave and request a log of activities near this space sector bef-"

Megatron brushed his digits across the words and almost immediately, they burned bright blue, lighting the area in an unearthly glow.

Before either Decepticons could react, the sand beneath them imploded and they crashed hundreds of feet down before dozens of metal slabs slammed shut above them.

"An Autobot trick!" Starscream growled. "How dare they attack-"

"Shut up!" Megatron snarled as he unsheathed his sword and looked around. "Show yourself, Optimus!"

Silence.

He pointed his cannon skyward and began to shoot the ceiling.

▪️◾◼⬛◼◾▪️

"You need to protect your face," Amy instructed.

"My hands are in front of my face," Lila moaned, rubbing her chin.