Chapter 8: I will kill you

Dean and Alexis walk out of the bar and toward Sam, who was sitting on the hood of the impala. Dean chuckles, holding up the money they both just made.

"You know, we could get a day job every once in a while." Sam tells them.

"Huntings our day job." Dean says. "And the pay is crap."

"Hey, half of that's mine, y'know." Alexis says to Dean as he counts the money.

"Yeah, but hustling pool? Credit card scams? Not the most honest thing in the world, Dean."

"Well, let's see, honest," Dean says. "Fun and easy." He makes a hand gesture like he's weighing the two. "It's no contest. Besides, we're good at it, its what we were raised to do."

Alexis pulls the money out of her pocket and starts counting it.

"Yeah, well, how we were raised was jacked."

"Yeah, says you." Dean retorts. "Hey, where'd you get all that?" He directs his question to Alexis.

"I might've made more than what I told you." Alexis says. "I bet this guy I could do more shots than him."

"Then I'm keeping this." Dean tells her.

"Hey, half of that is mine, fair and square."

"You just steal my money, anyway. Why does it matter?"

"Okay, fair."

"Guys." Sam says, grabbing their attention as he stands up. "Oasis plains, Oklahoma, not far from here. Gas company employee." Sam sets the newspaper on the hood of the car. "Dustin Burwash supposedly died from Creutzfeldt jakob."

"Huh?" Dean and Alexis say.

"Human mad cow disease." Sam explains.

"Mad cow?" Dean asks. "Wasn't that on Oprah?"

"You watch Oprah?" Sam asks.

"No, Lexi does." Dean says.

Alexis slaps his shoulder. "You liar. I do not. I might've been in the room when you were watching it, but I didn't watch that shit."

"Anyway, so, this guy eats a bad burger. Why is that our kinda thing?" Dean changes the subject.

"Mad cow disease causes massive brain degeneration. It takes months, even years, for the damage to appear. But, this guy, Dustin, sounds like his brain degenerated in about hour. Maybe less."

"Okay, that's weird." Dean admits.

"Very weird." Alexis agrees.

"Yeah, now it could be a disease. Or it could be something much nastier." Sam says.

"Alright, Oklahoma." Dean says, clapping his hands. "Man, work, work, work. No time to spend my money." Dean says, getting in the car. "Or should I say, no time for Lexi to spend my money."

"Our money, Dean, our money. We hustle pool together." Alexis smiles at him, closing her car door.

"Sure, darlin', sure."

~~~

The three of them get out of the car and walk toward a man standing across the parking lot.

"Travis Weaver?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, that's right." He says.

"Are you the Travis that worked with Uncle Dusty?" Dean question.

"Dustin never mentioned nephews. Or a niece." Travis says.

"Oh, no, she's a family friend. But, he sure mentioned you. He said you were the greatest."