12

12

  Bode

            Questions kept heaping up in his head. How does one celebrate a girlfriend’s birthday without over doing it or messing it all up. Bode was great at failing and the fear clawed at him as he led Gloria into the baby’s section of the Mall, listening to what she said about baby trollies with a divided attention. He wanted it to be special for her. She deserved a little bit of something nice and he was at a loss of what to do. Last night he had slept in her room because she kept having back aches, he hadn’t winked a sleep until this morning, when he had to literally call Somto who had been in the situation before, for directions. Somto wasn’t much help and only stated that he was only tolerating his Baby Mama not living her. Though his blatant declaration several weeks ago had stunned Gloria, she had decided they remain on the path they were until the baby was born. He didn’t like the idea, but if it made her comfortable not thinking that Bode was rushing into his emotions, he would definitely respect her decision. Besides, perhaps they needed to take it slow. Perhaps the whole emotion surrounding the baby’s arrival had overwhelmed them both.

          His attention snapped back when she tripped and nearly lost balance. Bode reached over to steady her before she hit the ground. Gloria looked as shocked as he did, looking down to see that she had hit her left leg at the side of the cabinet. “Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yes.” She was still shocked. “I keep tripping over things, I don’t understand.”

He didn’t either. His mother would have ran into the bedroom to pick a Bible and gathered the whole family to prayerfully sent the evil spirit of misfortune packing. It was disturbing if Gloria had hit her left leg three times today, and he had broken a glass cup this morning while cleaning it. Something was not right, He thought. He left her to pick whatever color of socks she liked for the baby so her could ponder. Pablo had let him go, making him swear never to spill, though he was still nursing the wound on his left shoulder from the parting gift they had all given him, shooting him as he ran just to ensure that he dies. To Pablo it would be Bode’s luck if he died or survived. But he didn’t die. He had escaped and Pablo had let him be. But if there was something else Pablo wanted to do to him, that wasn’t sitting right, Bode couldn’t point his finger at it. He followed Gloria to the cashier where he paid, his thoughts still in so many places. “Where is your head today?” she sliced through his thoughts. “You have been completely distracted.” She pointed out, as they made it outside. He smirked when she glanced at him. “I have been admiring your maternity gown. It is beautiful.”

Gloria rolled her eyes. “Have you seen a beautiful gown before?” The gown as beautiful and it emphasized her plump body shape which he liked so much, but he figured that would be a different kind of diversion from what had been eating him up. “I am looking at it now.” He grinned, she rolled her eyes. “I am serious.” “Thank you.” She smiled.

“I forgot to get something inside. Can you wait here for me? Try to order an Uber with my phone. I won’t be long, I promise.” He handed her his cellphone and walked back into the Mall, rushing over to the female accessory section, trying really hard to pick the best quickly without having to waste Gloria’s time outside.

       Two minutes later, he was grinning at the small pack he had in his hand, making his way through the crowd moving it. It was almost the season of Celebration and the Mall looked like someone had finally found the lost keys to open the cell door of customers. His cellphone came off as soon as he successfully made it out into open air, there was a crowd gathered at a corner beside the ATM, reminding Bode that he had to make a withdrawal before he left. Picking up the receiver, his eyes scanned the large vicinity for Gloria. “Hello, Mrs. Andrews.” He said. He paused and threw his head back in laughter. “No, of course not. Good afternoon, Ma. We were just coming out of the Mall, Gloria needed to pick few things for our baby.” He paused again to listen. “She is due in a few days, yes.” Someone tapped on his shoulder, rather aggressively and Bode turned ready to lash out on whomever it was. A young guy almost his age glanced from him to the other end. “Guy, na your babe be that ooo (That’s your woman over there). One idiot hit her with his car and ran away.” He pointed at the crowd gathered. Bode turned abruptly, in alarm, rushing over to the small crowd. Is it time yet, he thought, squeezing his way through to the center. “Jesus, Gloria!” He couldn’t remember throwing the phone aside to kneel beside the woman who was carrying his child in a pool of blood, already unconscious. “Gloria!” He shook her body and she didn’t budge. His eyes ran over her body in panic, his head was piling up with a lot of things he didn’t understand. She wasn’t responding to his call, and she was so still.