4

4

Bode

           “Senior man!”  Someone shouted from behind Bode, on his way to the public toilet at the backyard to have his bath that night. He let down his bucket of water and exchanged greeting with his neighbor, Bosco, whom he hadn’t set eyes on, for over a month since the last time his father threw him out of the house. Bosco was now at a point Bode wanted to be. The last time he heard of Bosco from Somto, he young guy was now having a one on one business deal with Pablo. Somewhere Bode hoped to get to within a year. If Bosco had gotten through to Pablo, then he needed to pour more oil into his engine before the year runs out. People like Banjo and even Capricorn, who worked for Pablo didn’t have what it takes to make it fast unless they could sneak their way into the heart of Pablo.

          It was no big deal stealing expensive things for Pablo and making delivery of cocaine to rich kids in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria. That was the only way one could make it big. And the only way one could work closer to Pablo. Bode had done his research carefully. And he knew that Pablo had every connection with the authorities, it would be extremely hard to get him behind bars. The man was heavily surrounded. Rumor had it that even politicians had his back. Bosco shook hands with Bode, grinning. “Wetin dey sup naow? (What’s going on with you).”

“Na you wey be Boss wey I suppose dey ask na. Your shadow no dey near me (I should be asking you. You’re the one I haven’t seen in a while).”

“Nna ehn, man gats chop na (We all have to hustle to eat). I have been with Pablo. I told you about the connection I have now. I work with him on the Island.”

“Are you serious.” Bode said, faking a surprise. Not that he hadn’t heard from Somto, that Bosco was now with Pablo. “So, just like that. You’re now chilling with the Big Boys. Show me road naow. Bosco, my man. I need to leave this place as soon as possible. I have to make money. That money must touch my hands.” He said, tapping his right palm. Bosco laughed. “That’s why I came. To bring you along with me to the island.”

“Stop playing with me.” Bosco pulled Bode to a secluded corner at the back of the house, carefully looking around for anyone eavesdropping.

“Nah, there’s a new operation. In Ikoyi.” He whispered. “These people are filthy rich and most of the things they use cost billions if you sell them. So, Pablo wants us to raid the place and take somethings valuable. I want to introduce you to Pablo tonight and then see what he says. Can you make it out by 8p.m?”

✓✓✓

  Timi

          The daily routine of sitting at the mending shop for hours, under the extended coverage of the ceiling had almost given her the thought that sitting out everyday was refreshing and not an unfortunate means of enduring an excruciating fury of the sun's teeth. She groaned, rubbed furiously at the back of her neck. Anyone would think her hair was so soft with how sweaty she was from the heat. Spending hours under the cool of an Air Conditioner was one thing. Sitting in a stuffy, bus in the middle of an annoyingly prolonged traffic for hours was another thing. Especially when one was sitting in he middle of sweaty, citizens who had hustled through the day and were now smelling of different things that she couldn’t fathom.

          It was 3:30 a.m, not an encouraging time to come back home from work, but her Boss had pitied her and allowed her dismiss as early as 3p.m, while she took over.