6

6

Bode

        “Listen, what has happened has already happened. You will no kill yourself because of that one simple mistake.” Bode sighed, ignoring Iyawo's greeting and that of many others. It wasn’t just a simple mistake. But of course, he didn’t expect Bosco to understand. A lot had been happening so fast in two weeks and he feared what the next week had in store for him.

          “Brother Bode, welcome.” Jide greeted at the passageway but Bode simply walked past him in silence. “Bààmi is inside.” Bode came to a halt.

“He didn’t go to work today?”

“He came back early and Mààmi just came in too.”

Strange. “ki lo sele (what is going on)?”

Jide shook his head. Olamide who had been running in from the backyard stopped beside them, looking up at Bode. Jide was acting up. “One aunty is inside. She was looking for you, Brother Bode.”

Oh no! Timi! He hurried on towards the room, pushed it open and hurried in, looking around the room. Dread filled him at the sight of Gloria with her signature smirk. “What are you–” Someone had been sitting at one corner of the room when he walked in. He turned to find his father. His mother who was just stepping out of the other adjoining room, sighed heavily, lowered her gaze at her husband instead and avoided Bode’s greeting. “Bààmi, e Kaasan, Sir.”

“She is here to see you.” Bààmi said, kidding towards Gloria who had her legs crossed in a fake poise that sent bile riding up in his throat and a smirk that made him want to clean it off with a slap. “I don’t know who she is, Sir.” Gloria’s smirk was replaced by a sneer.

“But, when you walked in, you seemed to know who she is. And she already said she is pregnant for you. So, Bode. Do you know who she is?”

“Bààmi–”

“What am I even saying?” Bààmi cut in, glancing from his son to his wife, then back to his son. Jide walked in this time, looking down at the torn carpets as if it had been Jide’s handwork and not Gloria’s. “The evidence was already given to your mother and I. We have seen it. So there is nothing you will say now, that will convince me. I already know who you are! Bode! Ode buruku (stupid fool)! Mo sọ fun ọ pe iwọ ko wulo (I told you that you are useless)! That you will never about to anything good. See what you have done?!”

“I am not responsible for this pregnancy, Bààmi.” Bode said, glancing from Gloria to his father. How could she do something like this? Coming to his father to report him? His father laughed and looked at his mother who was still holding a sympathetic gaze. “Tell your son, that the girl came with a pregnancy result. Tell him!” He turned to Bode. “Omo Rada Rada! Look at it now! Wo! You will leave my house this minute!”

Ajiké ran up to kneel before her husband. “Ah, Baba Leye, e joor(please). ibo ni yoo lọ (where will he go)? We can settle this without anger, maṣe binu (don’t be angry)!”

“No, we will settle it now!” He pushed himself up to his feet, advanced to Bode and shoved him towards the door. Gloria looked in alarm and confusion, clutching her handbag in case she becomes the next. “Get out of my house! Go and start your own family. You have finally proven that you are old enough to take care of yourself. Shebi, you have been telling me, but the stupid old man that I am, did not want to listen? Oya! Out of my house!” He shoved Bode towards the door, causing it to open forcefully. Bode remained adamant. Ajiké followed, on her knees. “Baba Leye, e joor! Yeh, E gba mi (help me)! Neighbors ooo!” Her hands spread apart, she looked around the passageway. “Awon aladugbo (Neighbors) Please, come and help me beg him ooo!” She cried. At this point, Bààmi had dragged Gloria alongside Bode who was now being dragged out towards the exit. Neighbors were beginning to pour out of their rooms, some quizzically watching while others tried to break the issue between father and son. Bode, silently shrugged off his father’s grip and turned to face him. “Fine, I will leave! I will leave your house for you!” Bode said. “Continue to swim in poverty!”