Chapter 32 - to the moon and back

Start from the beginning

It was about 1.30 pm. Keira had just made this pasta salad for lunch which was really nice. I had also managed to eat a full portion, for the first time since before I was admitted to hospital. Even when I was in there and there was barely any decent food available, I didn't feel hungry. Keira and Lucy could understand that for a few days since I had my stomach pumped, but in the past few days it was clear they were becoming slightly worried. Both of them had their eyes set on me during mealtimes, checking how much I ate. To me, it was the most useless thing ever and they have no need to be worried because I knew that I would eventually have a strong appetite again like before. But I understood their concern. Their daughter had just come out of hospital after a suicide attempt, the last thing they wanted was for her to develop an eating disorder as well. Yep that's right, I said 'their daughter'. I was told that Keira's name was now on my birth certificate and she was now my second mother at the BBQ. I can't lie, there were a few tears. Not all from me, mainly from the girls who were present at the time and Lucy in particular. I was happy at that moment. Even if it was only for a moment before it was snatched away from me, I was happy. 

Keira paused stacking the dishwasher, walked over towards me and instructed, "put your shoes on". I was a little confused, but followed her towards the front door and shoved on some white trainers. She grabbed her keys, locked the front door and unlocked her clean white car before getting in the drivers seat, followed by me getting in the passenger seat. 

When we had reversed out of the driveway, I questioned her, "where are we going?". She shrugged her shoulders and replied with, "their name starts with an M and ends in an E. We're going to their house". She was trying to be funny, but I worked it out the second she said M. Oh shit. I was far from ready to see her. I put my head on my hands and groaned, "nooo. Please turn the car round and go back home. Please?". She laughed lightly and shook her head, clearly finding me panicking very funny indeed. I tried to make her reason with me, "I can't go to her house because I look like an absolute mess". When we were stopped at traffic lights, she swivelled her head round and faced me, grinning, "you look beautiful. Don't worry it'll be fine". I smiled internally, but I was still freaking out about what the hell I was going to say to her. My brain was working overdrive with thinking about it until Keira spoke, "stop overthinking. You're making my brain hurt now". I laughed and she spoke again, "she deserves an explanation...". I replied, "I know, I just don't know how I'm going to tell her. I just feel like when I say how it happened, it's just going to make everything i'm trying to forget flood back into my brain". She processed what I had said before saying, "I could tell her if you want?". I looked across to her gratefully and replied, "will you actually?". She grinned and replied, "of course! You are my daughter after all...". I smirked and said, "thank you mum". She produced a smile as wide as her face, but I brought her back down to Earth, "don't get used to me calling you that though. Even though you feel like a mother, you're just Keira to me". She faced me as we pulled outside Millie's house, "I suppose I could live with you calling me Keira. Lucy would get jealous anyway if she heard you calling me mum aswell". 

We stood on the step as Keira reached forward and rang the bell. I could hear it echo through Millie's house, and I desperately hoped that no one was in. Unfortunately, luck was against me, as the door was opened by a confused looking Joanne. When she saw it was us, she invited us inside. Keira let me go in first, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. Millie was stood at the bottom of the stairs, staring at us. I began to speak, "err...hi?". She rolled her eyes and said, "cut the bull shit. Where have you been?". Joanne lightly hit Millie's arm for swearing in front of her. I understood why Millie was pissed off - after all, I hadn't text or spoken to her in over a week. Keira tried to resolve the tense conversation, "maybe we should all talk about it". I smiled gratefully at her, Joanne agreed and let us through to the living room. Millie sat on an armchair, Joanne was on one sofa, and Keira and I were on another. I felt a warm arm make it's way around my back, and I was glad that Keira was doing this with me. If she wasn't, I don't know when I would have told Millie.